ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 09-21-2007
Flexsim User

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 0
syseo has a spectacular aura aboutsyseo has a spectacular aura about
Default The transporter and operator task sequence...

I have a question during looking the Model 2 of Tutorial...
The model is using two operators in order to transport the flowitem from Queue to three processors and during setup the processors.

When one operator transport the flow item a processor and when the processor need the setup operator, the other postion operator moves to the processor not using the nearest operator. Why?

I want to control the operator transporting to a processor and to setup the processor by himself without calling other operator.

How can I control it?

Regards.
Old 09-22-2007
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of
Default Using the same operator for transport and setup (using shortest distance rule)

The problem has to do with the fact that the operator who transports the flowitem is released as soon as it unloads the flowitem at the processor, then the processor determines that it needs to utilize an operator for the setup time, so it generates a tasksequence and sends it to the dispatcher. The dispatcher then looks through its output ports for the first available operator which is not always the one who transported the flowitem over. One solution would be to use the "Shortest Distance" option for the "Pass To" field of the dispatcher object. I've attached an example that does this, but I needed to use two dispatchers because I wanted the "Shortest Distance" rule for the travel task dispatched by the queue to only consider available objects, and I wanted the "Shortest Distance" rule for the setup utilize task dispatched by the processor to consider all objects whether they're available or not. This solution is probably going to have problems in some scenarios, so I really think you would be better off creating a custom task sequence dispatched by the queue that gives a single operator the tasks of transporting and being utilized for the setup time. The following link discusses how to do this and
even includes a sample model by Brenton: http://www.flexsim.com/forum/threads/thread63
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff King For This Useful Post:
syseo (01-05-2011)