ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 11-09-2011
Flexsim Australia

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0
Kenny Macleod will become famous soon enoughKenny Macleod will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Generating conveyor layouts from CAD

I've been asked what's involved in generating a model on the fly, from info contained in a CAD drawing - either with or without interim data prebuild/manipulation.

The CAD drawing would be the result of an automated layout sequence, done on another software application. And the requirement is to populate a Flexsim model from the output of this process.

I can see similarities to the VISIO import process, and I would imagine that the CAD file would include object data that can be used - either directly or after a translation. That's probably the easy bit.

I would imagine that building links, transporters, network paths & logic etc would be a bit trickier.

As this is (I believe) a new area, I thought I'd open it to the user community to see if anyone else is working on something similar, and if indeed it is possible.

Thank you,

Kenny
TMN Simulation
Australia
Old 11-10-2011
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about

Kenny, I think this will involve the size of the conveyor and the coordinate of the conveyor. But the rest of the parameter will not be able to capture from the drawing. Currently our system is to bring in the CAD as layout and hence besides lines there is not much of the information that actually we could import in.

There is a video on automating the creation of conveyor on the youtube. I guess if we could get those geometrical and coordinate information on to the Excel, we should be able to generate the conveyor on the fly.

David
Old 11-11-2011
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Kenny,

If you want to post a sample drawing and let me know what objects/information you are trying to get out and what you would like to do with it then I can see what I can do. You could also send the file to me directly if you can't post it. I'm on a project right now so I might not get back to you on this really quickly.

Brandon
Old 11-16-2011
Flexsim Australia

Downloads: 114
Kenny Macleod will become famous soon enoughKenny Macleod will become famous soon enough

Thanks Brandon, file has been requested.

Tags
auto build, build on the fly, cad, import, visio

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the difference between a Conveyor and Basic Conveyor shivrash Q&A 2 07-21-2009 04:09 AM
How to improve display of large 3D shapes such as floor layouts. Steven Hamoen Tips and Tricks 3 04-10-2008 08:10 AM