ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 06-16-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
wutian is on a distinguished road
Default Problem about Separator

Hi,All
There is a problem about Separator when I'm simulation. The flow is described as:
1. use combiner to pack two BasicBoxes on one pallet;
2. send the loaded pallet to a separator through a conveyor;
3. the separator unpack one of the BasicBoxes, then send it to port1, the remainder (a pallet with only one BasicBox) is sent to port2.
The problem is it always unpack the both two BasicBoxes and keep nothing on the pallet.
I tried many ways but failed. Is there any one help me? Thank you.
Old 06-16-2008
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

It sounds like you're using the default "Split or Unpack Quantity" option to unpack the "Entire Contents". Use the option "By expression" and define the unpack quantity to be 1.
Old 06-17-2008
Flexsim User

Thank you.
Maybe my description is not very clear. In step 1, I pack the two BasicBoxes together, then pack them with the pallet, after the two operations, I use a separator to unpack one of the Basicbox.
And I am sure, I chose the method 'Unpack Quantity of 1', but failed. It always unpack the two boxes.
Old 06-17-2008
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Wutian,

Could you please post your model, then one of us can take a look to see what is going on.

Steven
Old 06-17-2008
Flexsim User

OK, I just attach my model. I'm using version 3.5. Please help me checking it. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip separator.zip (45.2 KB, 287 views)
Old 06-17-2008
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Wutian,

May I first propose you update to the latest version (4.32) because you don't have to compile anymore (with new models that is)

I checked your model but why do you use the first combiner (combiner3) because that one puts 1 box in the other and on the second combiner where you put the boxes on the pallet you only let 1 box come in. So on the conveyor after the combiner, your pallet looks like the attached bitmap.

So as you can see there is only 1 box in the pallet so only 1 can come out and then the pallet is empty. If you remove the first combiner and let the source simply generate 2 products and on the main combiner say that you want to receive 2 from the input port 2, your model should work.

Steven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	CombinerTree2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	322  
Old 06-17-2008
Flexsim User

Steven, thank you for your reply.
Yes, as you say, the model does work. But packing the two Boxes is necessary. Maybe I have to change my way.
Old 06-17-2008
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

A Separator's functionality is easy to duplicate with code. You could just use a regular Processor, then put the following statement in the OnProcessFinish trigger to move out the inner-most box:

Code:
moveobject(first(first(item)), outobject(current, 2), 1);
The only thing you need to be aware of is that the moveobject() command doesn't wait for availability, but simply moves the flowitem immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff King For This Useful Post:
wutian (06-18-2008)
Old 06-18-2008
Flexsim User

Thumbs up

Hi, Cliff. I can split the box as you told me. Thank you.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Suggestion] multi tasking combiner/ separator KelvinHo Gripes and Goodies 0 05-20-2008 06:48 PM