ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 04-04-2016
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about
Default Understanding of Experiment randomness

Hi

I have a question with regards to the random stream in Experiment.

I have repeat running the same set of experiment with a number of replication. I found the raw data that I have from each repeat run of the replication are the same. As I understand, the random stream is used during the replication and therefore the result in each replication is different. But why is the raw data between each repeat run of the replication are the same? Is the sequence of the random stream used in each replication the same when the replication is run again?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2016
Manager of Product Development

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4
Anthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

FlexSim initializes random streams the same for a given replication across all scenarios. For example replication 1 will use the same random stream initialization in scenario 1, scenario 2, scenario 3, etc. This, however, will be different than replication 2, which gets its own stream initialization for scenarios 1, 2, 3, etc. This is a commonly used variance reduction technique. If you want to turn this off, you can check the box Initialize random streams based on system time in your global preferences, but I think most math wonks would tell you that's a bad idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Johnson For This Useful Post:
David Chan (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about

Anthony,

I run the same experience twice. The raw data that I have from the first run is the same as the second run with respect to each replication. Therefore am I right to say that the random stream use for each replication for each re-run is the same.

Regards

David
Old 04-04-2016
TMN Simulation -Australia

Downloads: 7
michaelsmith will become famous soon enough

should be correct David, it will allow you to replicate an Experiment run (great when bug fixing/chasing) and means that the same Random stream is used for Rep 1 in all experiments - good when you identify a particular stream is giving you an outlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelsmith For This Useful Post:
David Chan (04-04-2016)

Tags
experiement, random streams

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dashboard & Experiment Questions Robert Rodgers FlexSim HC: Q&A 5 08-29-2013 06:13 PM
Debugging and understanding exceptions ? mearjun Q&A 3 01-23-2013 05:43 AM
How to control randomness with import pickup? Nathan_Huynh Container Terminal (CT) Library 5 09-04-2009 06:40 PM
Pseudo Randomness Kenny Macleod Q&A 5 11-11-2008 06:38 PM
Understanding Flexsim Network Error Codes Jorge Toucet Installation 0 11-02-2008 05:46 PM