ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > User Development
Downloads

User Development User developed add-ons to Flexsim

Old 06-10-2008
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of
Default Articulated Robot Library

I have uploaded the Articulated Robot Library to the Downloads area:
http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...do=file&id=137

The Articulated Robot object is a niche and advanced user library object. I would like to use this thread to support the existing functionality of the robot. Please read the help documentation provided in the download before posting a question. I have attached a simple palletizer example model that is covered at the end of the help doc.

Even if you are not interested in robots, this object may generate some ideas for your own developments!

Kris
Attached Files
File Type: zip ArticulatedRobot palletizer example.zip (87.4 KB, 770 views)
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
Tyson Nordgren (06-12-2008)
Old 06-11-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi Kris,

Thanks for a great library this will help in many chases.

I have one question regarding the Gripper Action Time.
How do you add this time to the total time?

When I was testing few things (to see what happens) I noticed that
if I have Path Cycle Time to 4 and Close and Open to 1.5 I get a
total cycle time of 5.5 but if I set Close or Open or both to 0
I get total cycle time to 4.07. I would expect 4.

Also if I have Path time on 4 s and Close to 1.5 and Open to 1.5 I would
expect a total time of 7 and not 5.5.

Lars-Olof
Old 06-11-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future
Default Demo_RobotHandoff_TD.fsm

First of all I like to thank Kris for this really great robot and that he shares this library with us.
Great Job and I really like this robot.
I really appreciate that he shares his work with us and hope that others will do the same.

I build a small model (Demo_RobotHandoff_TD.fsm) with this library and included another robot shape. This shape does not really fix 100% with the robot but in Europe a KUKA robot is more common than a FANUC robot.
I know to give the robots new shapes is quite some effort, for sure if they should fix 100%. So I think if someone likes to have his own shape he should pay Kris to do the job, for sure if he likes it 100%.

You can find my model in the download section.

http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...do=file&id=138

The KUKA-Shape (directory) must be under \Flexsim4\libraries\ArticulatedRobot\fs3d\KUKA.
But I put it in the archive with the right path.

Anyway, I am busy with some more models which I will upload when I have them finished.

Just one side node. Kris, is it possible that I can not change the End Effector Orientation? I tried to change it from RZ 90 to 0. But it jumps back to 90 if the robot loads an item. Any idea, what I do wrong?
Old 06-11-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tom,

How did you do when you replaced the Fanuc withh KUKA?
Did you only create new files or did do something more?

I am planing to add an ABB robot and want to save some time.

Lars-Olof
Old 06-11-2008
Flexsim User

Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

Lars-Olof,

I just replaced the 3D Shapes for every joint. The 3D Shapes I got from Tobias Biemueller so he earns the credits for that.
You can get 3D-Shapes of robots from different homepages from the net. Maybe you need to cut the joints, but in general this works.

I wrote in my post that this is not a 100% solution, because if you change the 3D-Shapes and they have different sizes that you also need to update the kinematics of the robot.
That’s why I said if someone needs a 100% solution, he should pay Kris for it, because it is at least one day of work to change the kinematics. And the robot kinematics is the real know-how of the robot and that’s in the *.dll.

It would be great, if you can put an ABB Shape on the robot, which fits more or less.

I still dream about a model with all the different robot shapes (Fanuc, KUKA, ABB, Motoman, etc.) where they handoff one robot to each other.

Good success!
Old 06-11-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
tobias.biemueller is on a distinguished road

Hi Lars-Olof,

yes only create the new .vrml or .3ds files, but you must pay a little bit attention at the sizes of the shapes. Sometimes it doesnt fit exactly cause of different axial points.

I used this Robot for my Visualization models (posted view weeks ago).

Additional i must say thats a very good work from Kris and thanks for the pre-sharing of this library.

regards
Tobias
The Following User Says Thank You to tobias.biemueller For This Useful Post:
Lars-Olof Leven (06-11-2008)
Old 06-11-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Hi,

I have tried one of ABB robot and I noticed it will probably take some time to get it okay (not perfect).

As soon I have done the one ABB robot I will uploaded it.
It probably will take some time.

Lars-Olof
Old 06-11-2008
Flexsim User

Default Demo_RobotKUKA_TD.fsm

@Tobias
Ups, looks like that we replied nearly at the same time. So I am glad that I mentioned you in my post.

@Lars-Olof
Good success with the ABB robot and I am sure you already have an idea what Tobias and me were speaking about.

@Kris
Another side node. In my second model (Demo_RobotKUKA_TD.fsm) I just built it was working with the change of the RZ. I have no idea why it didn’t work in my first model (Demo_RobotHandoff_TD). So in general it seems to work. Maybe just try it yourself in both models. I tried it also when I unprotected the objects but had the same effect.

I just uploaded my second small example model for the ArticulatedRobot Library.
It’s again with the KUKA robot and in the same direction of the great visualization of Tobias. Tobias's models look much better, but this gives you an idea how to do it.
The models is called: Demo_RobotKUKA_TD.fsm

http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...do=file&id=139

Have fun and I looking forward to see more robot models.
Old 06-11-2008

Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of
Default Insta-Gripper

Lars-Olof,

Yes, Gripper Action Times are added to the end of the total move time or path cycle time, however never will both gripper actions be applied on a single path.

When a path is used for load task type, only the Close action is used.
When a path is used for an unload task type, only the Open action is used.
When a path is called for a task that does not involve a flowitem (TRAVELRELATIVE), the Open action will be added to the end of the path only if specified > 0.

You have pointed out that the were errors when the user specifies a 0 in the action time that is used. I have updated the download with a new version 2.4_6 that handles the insta-gripper situation. This way you can control the entire cycle time of the path with the Path Cycle Time evaluation if desired.

Thanks!

note - only changes made to the movearm label node function
The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
Lars-Olof Leven (06-11-2008)
Old 06-11-2008

Default End Effector Orientation

Please pay special attention to the red notes in the "How do I create my own Paths" section of the help doc.

Note A: For a given path, use ONLY 2 of the 3 rotations to accomplish the desired orientation. Leave the third rotation set at 0.
Note B
: Once you have made this choice, all position rows of a given path must be recorded with the same End Effector Orientation values. Also, Load and Unload End Effector Orientation settings must match.

Choose your End Effector Orientation wisely before recording a path. Unfortunately if you decide later that you want to change the End Effector Orientation of a path, you will have to re-record all position rows with the new orientation. Sometimes you can get away with re-recording only the start and end positions of the path as they are most critical.

To change the End Effector Orientation you will want to have the Path Planner ON.
1. Choose the position row in the combo box, then click View Path Position.
2. Change the orientation values as desired, then click Apply.
3. Press the "Write current joint angles to" button to overwrite the original position row.

Last edited by Kris Geisberger; 06-11-2008 at 01:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
Tom David (06-11-2008)
Old 06-12-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Hi Tom,

What type of KUKA robot do you use?
Do you have link to the robot?

I think it is best if I can find a ABB robot that have the similarly size as the Fanuc and the KUKA robot
then it will be little easier to implement an ABB robot.

There is no problem to found files for ABB robot, they exist under this link http://www.abb.com/product/us/9AAC100735.aspx

Lars-Olof
Old 06-12-2008
Flexsim User

Lars-Olof,

I can not remember the type of the robot, but I am sure Tobias still knows it. And I am sure he will also have an idea about the dimensions of this robot.
He got the shape directly from KUKA because they bought this robot.

I had a look in the Net and at the KUKA page it seems that you can get the robot shapes.
Here is the link to the German page, but you can also switch to English language.

http://www.kuka.com/germany/de/newsevents/downloads/cadfiles/

To be honest, I tried downloading one shape but was not able to import it to AC3D. I do not have the time in the moment to play around with it. Maybe someone else is more successful than me.

You are right, the best is to find an ABB robot which a similar size will be the easiest. Like said, with other dimensions the kinematics of the robot needs to be changed. And the only one who can do this will be Kris (the master of robots ).

Anyway, good success with your ABB robot and I hope Tobias will give you the above information as soon as he reads this post.
Old 06-12-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 22
tobias.biemueller is on a distinguished road

Hi,

i also dont remember what kind of robot it is. Sorry.

What i have done is taking the shapes and modify it with AC3D in that way that it fit to the given axis of the robot.(I have needed 1-15 trials for each shape ) It takes half of a day to do this.
A disadvantage of this method is, that in some situations the angle of the shape do not sit accurate, but for my models it was ok.

Sorry that i cant help you.

Tobias
The Following User Says Thank You to tobias.biemueller For This Useful Post:
Lars-Olof Leven (06-12-2008)
Old 06-12-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Hi,

I will check with Kris if he remember which Fanuc he use, otherwise
I will start using trail and error to get some decent shapes.

Kris:
Do you remember which Fanuc you are using in this library?

Lars-Olof
Old 06-12-2008
Flexsim User

Default Demo_PalletRobot_TD.fsm

Because the Articulated Robot Library is so exiting I put together a third model (which will be the last one for now) and like to share it with the community.

To be honest if I would have know before how much effort it is to build a pallet robot I would have not built it. For sure not using a flowitem with a texture on it. Anyway, the model is finished after lots of testing.
The model is called Demo_PalletRobot_TD and can be found in the Download section. I used the new library v2_4_6, but I guess my models from yesterday still work, so I do not update them.

http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...do=file&id=140

Have fun and I really looking forward to see more robot models.
Old 06-12-2008

Lars-Olof,

I re-designed a polygon-light version of a R2000iA/165F to make it faster in Flexsim. In doing so, I think I changed some of the main link dimensions... this was in 2005.
Yes, it's true, I have been playing with this object for years.

Kris
The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
Lars-Olof Leven (06-12-2008)
Old 06-12-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Now I have a starting point.

Hope I can create shapes for an ABB robot.

Lars-Olof
Old 06-23-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Hi,

Here comes a ABB robot.

Is is not 100% perfect. I removed 2 things from the robot and also need change the size of one of the shapes.

The ABB directory should be placed under ArticulatedRobot\fs3d\.
Model called ABB Robot.fsm include the ABB robot.

You will find the file under Downloads, called ABB Robot
http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...do=file&id=145

Lars-Olof

Last edited by Lars-Olof Leven; 06-24-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 2
Ajaz Quddusi is on a distinguished road
Default ABB Robot Simulation Palletizer

Good to see the palletizer simulation. I am only a user and would like someone to modify the simulation for me. The requirement is to show 10 robots picking and palletizing the cases of different sizes of milk packaages. How someone can help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Geisberger View Post
I have uploaded the Articulated Robot Library to the Downloads area:
http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...do=file&id=137

The Articulated Robot object is a niche and advanced user library object. I would like to use this thread to support the existing functionality of the robot. Please read the help documentation provided in the download before posting a question. I have attached a simple palletizer example model that is covered at the end of the help doc.

Even if you are not interested in robots, this object may generate some ideas for your own developments!

Kris
Old 02-05-2010
FlexSim User

Downloads: 16
Olivier Pellegrin will become famous soon enough

Ajaz,

The robot modeling expert is Kris Geisberger but looks to the following link, and let us know if this is this kind of simulation you are requiring:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OPConsul.../1/EZ7ATlxRygI

(play the 4 robot cells video)

I've designed the model with the great support of Kris.

Let us know.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem with automatic generation of objects by using a user library and c++ Martin Saler Q&A 17 06-05-2009 09:56 AM
About CT library... syseo Container Terminal (CT) Library 0 11-17-2007 07:41 AM