ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 03-28-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Lavania Sitaraman is on a distinguished road
Question Peak hours for demand

Hey friends

I am facing a problem to generate a random input for demands arising in an inventory system
How can we give a random input considering the fact that the
a) peak demands occur at the mid of the day
b) there are 2 peaks in a day

I am currently generating the random demand pattern in excel and importing it into Flexsim. I do not feel this is correct as I am intentionally generating the peak.

Kindly help.

Thanks
Lavania
Old 04-04-2013
Flexsim User

Has anybody got a solution for this?
Old 04-04-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 52
Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold

Could you explain more exactly what you are looking for?
Maybe with a small example. And why standard function of Source doesn´t do what you want.
Old 04-04-2013
Flexsim User

Dear Sebastian

I am new to Flexsim and thanks for taking interest in my query.

This is what I require:
Task executors have to carry out a random picking as per the demands arising in a warehouse. I have given the pick-list in global table. The arrival pattern of these pick-lists over a day is where I am facing a problem. These demands are at their peak in the mid of the day. How to generate this spike in the demand pattern considering the fact that I want randomness coming into the picture.

Regards
Lavania
Old 04-04-2013
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

A general solution for these type of problems is the use of a table with a number of picks per hour (or a distribution) and then use processor with a uniform distribution to generate the random arrival pattern.

Use a source to generate a product every hour, send it to a seperator and on the seperator look up in the table or generate with a distribution, the number of products for that hour, then send those to a processor with a large capacity and a processtime of uniform(0,3600) and then you have a random arrival pattern with possibility to create peak arrivals.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Lavania Sitaraman (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013
Flexsim User

Thank you Steven

But I have a small doubt, is it appropriate if I define the table with no. of picks per hour? It will not remain random right? Won't I have to modify it for every iteration?

Regards
Lavania
Old 04-04-2013
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Then you take 2 columns in your table one with minimum and one with maximum and instead of using the table values directly you put them in a duniform distribution. (or make any other distribution that you want,but the idea is that you use the table for input in your distribution instead of using the numbers directly)
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Lavania Sitaraman (04-04-2013)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simulating daily customer demand Jens Mühlheimer Q&A 1 06-12-2012 10:41 AM
Pull logic based on daily demand Jens Mühlheimer Q&A 1 03-20-2012 03:27 AM
How to simulate monthly demand scenarios? naren nataraj Tips and Tricks 1 02-29-2012 08:27 AM
What is the maximum output of the model in 10 hours? john mic Q&A 1 05-14-2010 11:57 AM
Demand Simulation manuel fernandez Q&A 2 03-11-2010 07:44 AM