ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 06-24-2015
Cindy Azuero

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Problem uploading .stl file

Hi,

I'm trying to import an .stl file in the FlowItem Bin but when I do it, anything appears and the previous imagen (For example the box) dissapears.

Can you help me with this?
Old 06-24-2015
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Hello Cindy,

FlexSim is able to import *.stl files in ASCII format only. Make sure your file has not been exported in binary *.stl format.
If your CAD-System has other export options as well, you would want to go through FlexSim's User Manual section "3D Media".

Best wishes

Ralf
FlexSim
Old 06-25-2015
Cindy Azuero

Hi Ralf,

Someone send me the files, so I don't know if they are ASCII or binary. Is there any way I could check it?
Old 06-25-2015

RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Cindy,

here is a description how to detect ASCII vs. binary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)

If you open the file in a text editor it has to start with "solid" to be recognized as ASCII.

Good luck

Ralf
FlexSim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Jörg Vogel (06-25-2015)
Old 07-08-2015
Cindy Azuero

Ralf,

I solved the format problem and now I have ACII files, but when I import these in FlexSim, the color is lost. The images appear gray.

How can I solve this?

Thank you very much for your help
Old 07-08-2015

Cindy,

I guess that FlexSim just doesn't support colors in STL files.
As I said, the best results will be reached using 3ds or VRML1 (or any other format which FlexSim is able to import nativly without conversion).
Can you somehow get one of your files to me together with a screenshot in your CAD tool showing the colors?

Thanks

Ralf
FlexSim
Old 07-08-2015
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

The object is gray because the FlexSim object's color is gray. It is following the FlexSim object color.

The stl format doesn't store color information. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)

You can just change the color of the object in FlexSim if you want to change the color of an stl shape.

If your shape has multiple materials, then you should use a format that supports materials, such as 3ds or Collada.

Last edited by Phil BoBo; 07-08-2015 at 06:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Jörg Vogel (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015
Cindy Azuero

Here is the link to download one of the files

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D3960932_05216215_786505

I attach the photo taken from Inventor here.

I know it is better to use a 3ds, but it has been impossible for me to figure out how to convert the file from Inventor to 3ds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	FotoBandeja.PNG
Views:	460
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	2918  
Old 07-08-2015
Cindy Azuero

It doesn't work. If I change the color in FlexSim it doesn't change the color of the object.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cindy Azuero For This Useful Post:
Phil BoBo (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015
Flexsim Development

Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Azuero View Post
It doesn't work. If I change the color in FlexSim it doesn't change the color of the object.
Sorry. That looks like a bug. I'll fix it for 7.7.

Based on some web searches, it appears that Inventor will export to dwg. Have you tried loading the shape into FlexSim as a dwg? You can type *.dwg into the File Browser when selecting the shape in FlexSim to get dwg files to appear in the list. Typically dwg files are AutoCAD background drawings with their own special object in FlexSim, but the format can also store 3D data and be imported as any object's shape despite it not being in the default list of shape formats.

Another option: Autodesk 3ds Max loads the native Autodesk Inventor file format, and 3ds Max can export 3ds files.

Another option is to use software specially designed for converting 3D formats, such as PolyTrans, which is discussed in this thread: https://www.flexsim.com/community/fo...ead.php?t=1900

Yet another option is to purchase a software add-in for Inventor that exports 3ds files. (I've never used this so I don't know if it works well though.) http://www.sycode.com/products/3ds_export_iv/index.htm

The stl file you posted already has no color information. If you post the native Inventor file, then we can test how to convert it into a format that FlexSim can import.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
RalfGruber (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015
Cindy Azuero

Thank you very much,

I've try a lot of things. The one that works better was to download the trial version of Autodesk 3ds Max, import the inventor file and export it to .3ds to read it in FlexSim. The problem I had with this is that I don't know why, but when I open the file in FlexSim (.3ds format) some parts of the image are lost or reacomodated.

I'm sending one of the original inventor files.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D3960932_05216215_799296
Attached Thumbnails
Name:	FotoMalImportada.PNG
Views:	499
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	2921  
Old 07-09-2015
Cindy Azuero

Also, I've try to import the .dwg but I can't figure how. When I go to the flowitem bin and select browse it doesn't allow me to select the .dwg file.

I try to
"type *.dwg into the File Browser when selecting the shape in FlexSim to get dwg files to appear in the list"

but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the dwg file doesn't appear on the list.
Old 07-09-2015
Flexsim Development

Importing a DWG as a regular shape instead of a background:

When selecting a shape, you are presented with a dialog like this:

If you type *.dwg in the bar at the bottom and press Enter, then it will change the filter to showing just dwg files instead of the default file filter:

I tried exporting as DWG from 3ds Max, but the shape came into FlexSim even worse than the stl file, so this probably isn't a very good option anyway. I doubt the Inventor's DWG export is any better.

Fixing the 3ds Max weirdness

When you import the inventor file, Autodesk 3ds Max preserves a lot of the extra details about the file in addition to the shapes. It appears that this model has certain meshes that are simply meta data referencing other meshes to draw them mirrored. That type of data isn't preserved in the export, so you need to explicitly convert the file so that it is just meshes.

You can use this in 3ds Max using the Modifiers panels on the right side.

With everything selected (as it is when you first import the shape), click the Modifier List and select "Turn to Mesh." It will give you a warning; click OK.

Then right-click in the box below the Modifier List dropdown, and select Collapse All. Again, it will give you a warning; click Yes.

After you've done that, it will have stripped out any metadata references and everything will be simple meshes that come into FlexSim correctly when exported as 3ds:

Attached Thumbnails
Name:	select_shape_1.png
Views:	961
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	2922   Click image for larger version
Name:	select_shape_2.png
Views:	1001
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	2923   Click image for larger version
Name:	3ds_max_1.png
Views:	1002
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	2924   Click image for larger version
Name:	3ds_max_2.png
Views:	959
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	2925   Click image for larger version
Name:	3ds_fixed.png
Views:	885
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	2926  

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
RalfGruber (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015

Cindy,

DWG's can only be applied as backgrounds but not to flow items (at least not in an easy way).
I used Polytrans to load your STD CARRIER 2014.IAM and convert it into both, 3ds and VRML1. Since the 3ds was way smaller with better quality, I went with that.
It didn't keep colors though, so I loaded the exported 3ds into AC3D and added the colors again (forgive me not to have been more accurate, but for a test this should be close enough).
Then I exported again to 3ds.
The screenshot taken in FlexSim shows the grey PolyTrans export to the left and the colored AC3D export to the right. I attached the 3D shape for you to use with FlexSim.

Best Wishes

Ralf
FlexSim

And now you know, why Phil is the graphics pope and not me Because he is faster and creates better quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Name:	FlexSim_STD_Carrier_2014.png
Views:	485
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	2927  
Attached Files
File Type: zip STD CARRIER 2014_AC3D.zip (560.1 KB, 480 views)
Jörg Vogel (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015
Cindy Azuero

Thanks Phil, it works perfect.

I'm very grateful with you.
Old 07-09-2015
Cindy Azuero

Well it works perfect with Phil solution but also thank you very much for your help and your time.
Old 07-10-2015
Cindy Azuero

Phil sorry for bothering you. I repeated the process for all the images I have and it works perfect for all excepting this 2. I don't know how to use Inventor or Autodesk 3ds Max so I don't know which additional changes are necessary in order to make the file works when importing it from flexsim.

I'm sending you the link to access to the 2 images with which I continue having problems

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D3960932_05216215_794167

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D3960932_05216215_794225
Old 07-13-2015

Cindy,

There is a part missing in your files. The attached screen shot shows the error message from Autodesk's Inventor View.

Best wishes

Ralf
FlexSim
Attached Thumbnails
Name:	ErrorMessage.png
Views:	510
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	2931  
Phil BoBo (07-13-2015)
Old 07-14-2015
Cindy Azuero

Thanks Ralf, with your comment in mind, I search in the files the client send me and I found another two with the same image that works as the other ones. Thank you very much.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
skp.file julialiucsn Q&A 7 11-12-2014 03:46 PM
Problem with a coordinated task sequence. Could somebody please help spotting the problem? Vadim Fooks Q&A 1 08-27-2012 03:26 PM
"Error including file for global macros. The file flexsimdefs.h could not be opened." Shahin Gelareh Container Terminal (CT) Library 1 12-15-2011 12:50 PM
Problem with my AutoCad File Gavin Douglas Q&A 4 01-22-2010 04:30 AM
Problems uploading a picture Brandon Peterson Q&A 1 11-06-2008 11:59 AM