ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 01-08-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
BenjaminBuecklein is on a distinguished road
Default 3D input-devices

Hello Flexsim developers.

I've bought this nice input-device:
http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php
for Autodesk Inventor and Autocad. Now I tried to use it with Flexsim, but it looks like there are no plug-ins available for Flexsim to use it.
Is it planned to integrate such devices in future versions of Flexsim?

best regards,

Benjamin
Old 01-11-2009
Manager of Product Development

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4
Anthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

One of our tech support guys has the 3D Navigator. It's a pretty cool device. Unfortunately, it's not very high on our development priority list, due to the relatively few users that have one (although I guess it could be argued that if we add the capability, our users would flock to get one), and because, while it does make a lot of things easier, I think a lot of our users are pretty satisfied with the navigation capabilities available with the standard mouse. So it's not really in the development plan right now.
Old 01-12-2009
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 21
Lolke Koopmans is on a distinguished road

Anthony, I can see why this is not high on your priority list, but I had a look at the link and I think it is really cool!
I would love to use it, but I also think it would be a selling point if you can show this to new customers. Navigating your demo models would become very easy. And although we can use the mouse to navigate, first time users always have problems navigating...
Old 01-12-2009
Flexsim User

In comparison with mouse navigation in 3d software, a space mouse is much more comfortable than a "classical" mouse.
And Lolke, you're right: it is really really cool ;-)

@Anthony:
You said one of the tech supporters has the navigator. He use it with Flexsim?

Greetings,

Benjamin
Old 01-12-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
there exist some tools in the internet, which work as a driver for a joystick. Each axis of the 3D-device can be assigned to a mouse axis and/or a button.

That should do what you want.

Jörg
Old 01-13-2009
Flexsim User

Okay,
I've found this driver: http://rbc.duckinegg.com/

But to configure it with flexsim is not so easy as i thought.
I'll keep on trying until it works.
If I'm ready, I´m going to upload the bind file in the download section ^^
Perhaps it might be usefull to others.

best regards,

Benjamin
Old 05-03-2011
FlexSim Geek

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1
Carsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud of

Hello,

does anyone use a 3d mouse with flexsim? What are your experiences?

I'm looking for a simple way to navigate through flexsim. The navigation to a specific view point can be very difficult.

greetings,

Carsten
Old 06-23-2011
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

I got a 3d mouse working in Flexsim. The next release of Flexsim (probably early 2012) will have it work automatically in 3d views. I'm reading the information as a raw input device so it doesn't require any drivers either.

There currently exist drivers that map the 3d mouse inputs to other inputs, such as 2d mouse movements, keyboard presses, or joysticks, but those don't work particularly well with Flexsim. Just using a regular mouse works better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Vadim Fooks (10-14-2012)
Old 07-13-2012

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Phil,

What is the status around this 3D mouse thing? I'm asking because we saw a 3DConnexion mouse in working yesterday and that was pretty impressive but it doesn't work with Flexsim.
But the company does provide a SDK ( http://www.3dconnexion.eu/service/so...72g2nlp87mcnv6
) so maybe it is not so difficult to add it?

It does look like a great enhancement.
Old 07-14-2012
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

Steven this is now pretty well supported in version 6. The rawinput method avoids the use of their drivers and from my recollections of the conversations with 3Dconnexions, this is a recommended technique. The button presses are now working too as Phil has the correct lookup code for the various 3Dconnections products.

I know it's been tested with SpaceMouse Pro and SpaceNavigator . Not all the buttons have corresponding functions mapped in Flexsim (yet) but that's something we can put together, as Phil has made sure the correct key codes are passed into the OnStick function.

I'm surprised you say it's not working - which 3d mouse product had the issue? Was it a problem with just some buttons or the translation and rotation too?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
Vadim Fooks (10-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012

Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

aaahhh Sorry, the client is still working in version 5 (we are working on getting their libraries over to 6) I'll ask here to give it another try in 6. Thanks Jason for the heads up!
Old 07-16-2012
FlexSim Geek

Carsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud of

The 3d mouse from 3Dconnexion works fine with flexsim 6 and windows 7.

Greetings

Carsten
Old 07-16-2012

I just got confirmation that for the client it also works fine!
Carsten, do you prefer the 3D mouse over a normal mouse for Flexsim?
Old 07-16-2012
FlexSim Geek

To be honest, I do not know yet. I use both depending on the situation.
Old 07-16-2012
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in a dense area of the model and haven't set "no select" on the objects, using the mouse can be awkward by comparison as you have to find free space to manipulate the background. Here the 3D mouse is great.

Also while you might find yourself making 3 or 4 mouse actions (click and drag to translate, rotate and zoom) the 3D mouse lets you do it more precisely correcting all 3 at once.

The buttons will make it even better once we get those properly mapped. 'Fit' is currently mapped to Flexsim's 'Reset View'. Hopefully we'll be able to customize that for SpaceNavigators to any 3Dmouse function or Flexsim view option.

Last edited by Jason Lightfoot; 07-16-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-11-2012
FlexSim Geek

I have a minor problem with the 3d mouse:

If I start flexsim and choose "Open a Saved Model" the 3d mouse doesn't work. If I open a new "3d-View"-window, all "3d-View"-windows will work at once with the 3d mouse.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

Thanks,

Carsten
Old 10-11-2012
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Hi Carsten,

probably a stupid question, but did you remember to click into the 3D view you wanted to use the 3d mouse in? The window has to be active to allow the 3d mouse to work.

Best wishes

Ralf
FlexSim Germany
The Following User Says Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Carsten Seehafer (10-12-2012)
Old 10-11-2012
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

The OnPreOpen of the 3d view calls
Code:
applicationcommand("register3dmouse",windowfromnode(c));
Are you using the latest version of FlexSim? If you aren't using the latest version of FlexSim, then OnPreOpen might not be called for all the already-open windows when you open a model.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Carsten Seehafer (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012
FlexSim Geek

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfGruber View Post
...did you remember to click into the 3D view you wanted to use the 3d mouse in?
Yes, I clicked into the 3d-view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil BoBo
Are you using the latest version of FlexSim?
I'm using Engine/Content 6.0.2 built on 03-Aug-2012.

I should like to point out that this only occurs if you open a model with the wizard when flexsim starts.

@Phil: Your code does the trick. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Carsten Seehafer For This Useful Post:
Phil BoBo (10-12-2012)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Select input for a combiner KelvinHo Q&A 6 04-22-2008 09:34 PM
set the location of flowitem from 2nd input port in a combiner KelvinHo Q&A 4 04-11-2008 11:34 AM
Input data Regarding shivrash Q&A 4 04-01-2008 07:02 PM
Excel Tutorial - Need Input! Brandon Peterson Q&A 4 03-12-2008 10:54 AM
Help on flexsim data input into source and processer TanSiying Q&A 4 10-30-2007 07:55 PM