ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 03-11-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Stefan Jerenz is on a distinguished road
Default Start Processing again after Breakdown

Hi Community,

I want to model a normal production plant which includes machine breakdowns.
My problem here is the handling of items which are being just processed when a breakdown happens. Flexsim only offers the standard option that the flowitem will be processed further after the repair of the machine. But I want to model that the processing of the flowitem has to start from the beginning after the repair.

One solution (a little bit long-winded) would be to manipulate the processor:
With the repair:
  • Close the output of the involved processor
  • put STATE_PROCCESING
  • Sending a delayed message to the involved processor - time delay correspond with original processing time of the flowitem
With OnMessage:
  • put STATE_IDLE
  • Open the output
With this solution the result and also the states for analysis would be OK.

But now I am searching for a more easy solution by manipulating the eventlist.
My question here is if there is any possibilty to put a new processing time by changing the Process Finish time of the involved processor?
What commands I have to use?
Which problems may occur?

Or are there any other easy solution for my problem?

Thanks for your Help
Stefan
Old 03-11-2013
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

If you're only processing one item at a time you could see if this does what you needs. The failure code modifies some variables of the processor and item.

Update: Use Kris' response below

Last edited by Jason Lightfoot; 03-11-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2013
Flexsim User

Thanks Jason,

this is what I am searching for, but the processing times are not OK.
I expand the model with a Global Table for analysing the processing times of all flowitems and I modified the MTBF/MTTR so that the breakdowns happen every x00-x10 seconds.

In the GlobalTable you see that when a breakdown happen the processing time for the currently flowitem increase to exactly 30 seconds instead of something between 20 seconds and 30 seconds.
  • processing time before the breakdown + MTTR + full processing time after repair
  • [0,10] sec + 10 sec + 10 sec
  • [20,30] sec

I only recognize new things in the DownFunction of the MTBFMTTR, is this correct or did you do sth else?
Can you explain the commands you use?

Thanks
Stefan
Attached Files
File Type: fsm RestartProcessAfterStop_withAnalysis.fsm (42.6 KB, 71 views)
Old 03-11-2013
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

Looks like you only need the following in the Down Function after stopobject:

HTML Code:
if (content(downobject)==1)
	setvarnum(downobject,"timeoflaststop", getentrytime(first(downobject)));
The state profile seems to be correct after all is done.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm RestartProcessAfterStop_KG.fsm (48.3 KB, 82 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
Stefan Jerenz (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013
Flexsim User

Thanks Kris for this addition - this is what I was looking for.

Can you explain the the command
"setvarnum(downobject,"timeoflaststop", getentrytime(first(downobject)));" do or better what the Variable "timeoflaststop" means?

Stefan
Old 03-11-2013
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

It depends on the object, but in general it is set to the current time when stopobject() is called, and then used to determine how to resume the events of an object when resumeobject() is called. If there were multiple concurrent stops, then it would be set on the first stop, and used on the last resume.

I set timeoflaststop (after the stopobject) to the item's entry time so that when the object resumes it will think that it was down since the start of the process. Fortunately, the state profile is not managed using this variable, so it shows the truth.

All said, I'd wait for a thumbs up from Phil or Anthony... we might be missing something yet. It would be nice to have a pick option for this situation though. Also, the case where the item is scrap because of the failure and we want to abort the remainder of the process and send the item to another port.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
Stefan Jerenz (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013
Flexsim User

Thanks Kris, now I understand (a little bit more)

The options you mentioned would be very useful for building production plant models because in reality you always have one the three possibilites after a breakdown:
  • processing can go on
  • processing has to start from the beginning
  • processing is not possible any more (item is waste)
So it would be very helpful to have these options available as a MTBF-MTTR-Parameter or so.

Stefan
The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Jerenz For This Useful Post:
RalfGruber (03-12-2013)

Tags
breakdown, repair

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breakdown -> call operator -> repair breakdown by operator KvThiel Q&A 4 02-26-2013 03:43 AM
¿How can i export breakdown time? Gutirallo Tips and Tricks 5 01-10-2012 08:35 AM
Preempting for machine breakdown Martijn van Oostenbrugge Q&A 4 10-15-2008 01:49 AM
Command overview does not start because XML does not start Tom David Q&A 0 09-17-2008 12:11 AM
Machine breakdown using Operators Nico Zahn Q&A 8 07-13-2008 03:07 AM