ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-29-2007
Flexsim Super Moderator

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0
AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough
Question Canceling "Set Object Reset Position"

Is there anyway to cancel "Set Object Reset Position"? That is, I use "Set Object Reset Position" in the pop-up menu. But later I do not want to reset the object's position. It bothers me after I copy the object. Maybe it is really simple, but I just cannot find it.

Thanks.

Alan
Old 08-29-2007
FlexSim Consultant

Downloads: 23
Dustin Derrick is a jewel in the roughDustin Derrick is a jewel in the roughDustin Derrick is a jewel in the roughDustin Derrick is a jewel in the rough
Default Disabling Set Object Reset Position

According to my knowledge there is not a simple check box or button that you can push in order to cancel the "Set Object Reset Position" option. However, if you know your way around the Tree window it is pretty easy to accomplish. If you open up the tree and dive > into the object that you want to adjust, then you click the + sign next the the variables node and scroll down near the bottom you will notice a node called "resetposition". If you click on the + sign located to the left of that node, 9 nodes will appear below it. Simply delete these 9 nodes found below and this will disable the "Set Object Position" option on the object.

Dustin Derrick
Flexsim Support
Old 08-29-2007
Flexsim Super Moderator

AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough

Thank you so much! That is all that I want to know.

Alan
Old 10-13-2007
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

I was questioning whether we needed a "Clear Object Reset Position" option or not, and decided we probably did not because you can always reset the position again if it is wrong. I'm curious why you wanted to clear the position?
Old 10-13-2007
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

Cliff,

You are right, you could reset the position again, but maybe sometimes this is unhandy and you have some unnecessary nodes.
The case which comes to my mind is with an operator. First in my model I had a 'free' operator (no path system), but I liked to give him a start position (Set Object Reset Position).
Later I implemented a path system and on a path system the operator normally starts a the node he is assinged to. But not, if he has a reset position. Right, you could give him the new Reset Position.
But the Reset Position is not needed any longer, so I prefer to delete it. I don't mind to do it in the tree, by the way .

Maybe if you have a dynamice pathsytstem, than you like to delete the Reset Position, but this can also be done by code (delete the nodes).

So I am not sure if we need a "Clear Object Reset Position".
Old 10-13-2007
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

Because the 'Set Object Reset Position' is between Reset Object and 'Set as so()' options, I find sometimes I (and others) click it by accident when in a rush. Without knowing the variables tree well the more basic approach to clear the reset position is to create a new object of the same class and Copy from Highlighted > All Variables, then duplicate connections. In a model with elaborate connections, this approach could take a while. Just a thought - definitely not the strongest argument to give it a high priority.
Old 10-15-2007
Flexsim Super Moderator

In my case, the situation is that I firstly use the option because it is handy. In my model, I have many similar objects. The way I do it is to create one object and test it to make sure it is good. But if I uses the Set Object Reset Position for the object, when I copy and paste the object, those Reset Positions are also copied. And sometimes it would be tedious to correct them one by one. For my situation, an alternative way would be not duplicating those Reset Positions when you do copy and paste.

Alan
Old 10-15-2007
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

Sorry, I know I skipped some details. When you 'Copy from Highlighted' > 'All Variables', Flexsim will NOT copy the object reset positions. Now this does not help if you duplicated the original object, however if you drag-drop new objects of the same class as the original you can Copy All Variables and still be free of the original reset position.

Kris
Old 10-15-2007
Flexsim Super Moderator

I see. So one way would be saving the object to a library, and manually delete the reset position for the library object , then dragging the object into the model.

To summary:
Duplicating objects will copy everything of the object except the connections to the rest objects in the model. Same as "Add to User Library".
You can cancel the reset position by deleting all nodes under the ">variables/resetposition" in the object tree.
Using 'Copy from Highlighted' > 'All Variables' will not copy the object reset position. It will only copy the immediate child nodes of the variables tree within the object (not the grand child nodes, or grand grand child nodes etc.).
Different from Copy Variables, Copying Labels from Highlighted will copy recursively, which means will copy everything (child, grand child, grand grand child etc.) of the labels tree within the object.

Alan

Last edited by AlanZhang; 10-15-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Avoid confusing
The Following User Says Thank You to AlanZhang For This Useful Post:
CWhittaker (04-21-2009)