ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 09-21-2007
Flexsim User

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Yaghm is on a distinguished road
Default Production of frames in wood

Good morning,
I'm an engineering student and I need to simulate the production of frames in wood for my university thesis.My problem is the simulation of the cut of the wood with a mill,with a wood slab in input and the cutted pieces in output(six pieces for every slab).
I hope that you have understood my problem in spite of my bad english.
Someone can help me?
Old 09-21-2007
Flexsim User

Downloads: 24
Maurits Brandt is on a distinguished road

did you already use the 'separator' object in the discrete objects library? With this object you can have one flowitem as input and split in as many parts as you like. You can also adapt the splitquantity dynamically if for example the woodslab is only sufficient to produce 3 or 4 frames. For more info check the helpfunction for this object.
Old 09-21-2007
Flexsim User

Thank you,I will try as soon as possible,but if possible I need a mill to simulate more accurately the process,can I find somewhere custom objects?
I've another problem,in the second part of the process a glass plate comes positionated on the wood panel,I try to do this with the combiner but it doesn't put the glass on the wood but next to it.
Thanks for your disponibility.
Old 09-21-2007
Flexsim Technical Support

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 5
Brenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to all
Default Sample Model

Yaghm,

Here is an example of what Maurits was talking about. I have 6 different sized flowitems going into a table saw (a couple of shapes thrown together to resemble a table saw) In the source I have the item types set and the size set on exit. In the separator (the blue box) I set the quantity of pieces and the size of the pieces depending on the item type as well. If it is an itemtype 6 I send it to the combiner where I have an operator put a sheet of glass on the newly cut piece and send it out. This is a very basic example but I hope it helps you understand what Maurits was talking about.
Brenton
Flexsim Support
Attached Files
File Type: zip SeparatorAsSaw.zip (59.7 KB, 335 views)
Old 09-22-2007
Flexsim User

Ok,it works (not in my pc for real...),but what can you tell me for my second question?Can I have in output of a combiner the glass on the wood??
Old 09-22-2007
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of
Default Modifying the pallet flowitem

The "Pallet" flowitem has code in its >behaviour/eventfunctions/OnReceive node that makes an attempt to intelligently position items that are moved into it (such as a Combiner does to the items that enter ports 2+). You can write your own flexscript code in the OnReceive node of the Pallet in the FlowItemBin and then select main menu Build>Build Flexscript before running. Another easier option might be to just use any old flowitem as the wood and glass then execute your own setloc() command in the OnProcessFinish trigger of the combiner object that packs the glass item into the wood item. Remember the wood is referenced with "item" and the glass is referenced with rank(item,1); therefore you would write setloc(rank(item,1), .1,.1,.3); or something like that.

Last edited by Cliff King; 04-11-2008 at 11:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff King For This Useful Post:
arunkrmahadeva (01-20-2014)