ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 04-25-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about
Default optimal size of a 3DS file

I am trying to import a 3d graph object in 3ds format. But when I import it using Visual Tool, Flexsim ceased to response. The file is about 130kb. Is there an optimum size that we should reduce the file size to?

Thanks

David
Old 04-25-2008
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

David,

That size should not be a problem. We have imported files of 25Mb. Have you tried to import it into AC3D and then export it as a wrl and then import that file?

Steven
Old 04-25-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about

No. I have not. But it is still worth to try. I will let you know my result. By the way, do you think will this importing process constriants by the memory on the graphic card?

I have one notebook that has only 64M and another 512M

David
Old 04-25-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

David,

I guess there are different things you should keep an eye on, if you like to import 3D Shapes, where it does not matters if you use *.3ds or *.wrl.

In one of my projects in the past the customer gave me an 3D Shape *.3ds which was 650 MB, because he got it directly from Solid Works and every detail was in the shape (screws, parts inside, etc.). This happens if you get a part directly out the construction program (CAD).

So what I did was to delete a lot of parts you can not see and I had an object around 25 MB.

Than I used AC3D and selected the parts/shapes which are visible from the outside and in my eyes where important for visualization purposes. I hide this shapes and than made a polygon reduction within AC3D with the other parts/shapes. I played around with different values for the percentage of the reduction. After this I unhide the outside parts/shapes.
I exported the whole shape at the end as *.wrl in Flexsim mode with material zero and size 1,1,1, position 0.5, 0.5, 0.5 as described in another thread.

At the end I had a shape which in my eyes still looked good but was “only” around 8 MB.

This shape I used in my model and the speed was okay. I am pretty sure that I can not have hundreds of this shape in my model, but up to 6 was okay on my computer.
I guess, but I am not an expert, that the memory of the Graphic Card is used for the number of polygons and for the number of textures. So if you have a lot of polygons and a lot of textures the memory will fill up.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that in my eyes the following things will influence the navigation speed in the model:
- size of 3D Shape.
- number of 3D Shapes in model
- number of polygons (which is mainly the size of the Shape I guess).
- graphic card (gpu speed, memory).

I am not sure, but hopefully this post gives you some hints.

An alternative way would be to use textures on an object to make it look like the original shape. Also some work, but the idea behind it is again to try to reduce the number of polygons.

Speaking about this subject: Would it not be nice to have an option in Flexsim to switch of the calculation of the views (ortho, persp).
In Flexsim the speed difference in having a view open or not is not as dramatic as in other simulation packages, but there is still a difference, right?
As far as I understood is the graphic card in Flexsim calculates the views (OpenGL) and not the CPU as in a lot of other simulation packages. That’s why you have a big speed improvement by switching of the views.
But I guess that the CPU still needs to do some calculation and communication with the GPU (graphic card) to make the views. Right?
I am not an expert, but if there would be a switch/option for not calculation the views, just calculate the run. Would this be a speed improvement for the simulation run?

Anyway, maybe one of the Flexsim experts can give us his opinion.

Take care
tom the (A)tom
Old 04-28-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Tom,

If I understand your the last part of your post correctly, then the problem is already solved. Simply closing all of the view windows will effectively stop any 3D calculations that have to do with the view windows and will significantly speed up your simulation. The only exception that I know of for this is if you are using Collision spheres. Because they need an updated 3D location at fairly constant intervals they will update the views on their own whether they are open or not.

Hope this helps,
Brandon