ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 05-29-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough
Default Transfer a mobile object by another mobile object

An old question:

Is there a way to transfer a mobile object by another mobile object

e.g. transfer a transporter from G/F to 1/F by a elevator

Regards,
Kelvin
Old 05-30-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Kelvin,

Your old post deals with how to hand a flowitem from one TE to another: http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...light=operator

Instead of passing a flowitem in the Load and Unload tasks pass the TE. So, the Coordinated task sequence would do the following steps:
  1. Allocate Traveller
  2. Traveller Travel to Elevator
  3. Allocate Elevator
  4. Elevator Load Traveller
  5. Elevator Travel to correct floor
  6. Elevator Unload Traveller
  7. Deallocte Elevator
  8. Deallocate Traveller
So you can see that the two cases are not much different, just remove the flowitem references and have the elevator load and unload the other TE.

Good Luck,
Brandon

Last edited by Brandon Peterson; 06-16-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2008
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Another way to model operators using an elevator is to not actually use an elevator object itself, but rather to set up a network node system with a Traffic Control object to regulate.

This way doesn't have quite as nice animation as using coordinated task sequences, and it requires a bit of tweaking of the network nodes to make it function the way you want, but it's just another idea. ( You could get tricky with code and the network node triggers to do cooler animation if desired. ) You can also use virtual distances on the network nodes to take into account how long it takes the elevator to operate.

Attached is a small example, although not perfect, of how you can model operators using an elevator by using network nodes and a traffic control.
Attached Files
File Type: zip operatorelevator.zip (61.5 KB, 312 views)
Old 06-16-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 4
Nico Zahn has a spectacular aura aboutNico Zahn has a spectacular aura about
Default Elevator Dummy

Hi, heres is my try.
I made a elevtor dummy.You can simply put it into yout network and use the standard task or just the use transport. The Elevator can will show the right useages and also works for a capacity >1. I think 3 levels is as complex as it gets, above this I recommend using more advanced concepts.
Any how, this is simple and can be build into a modell quickly by dragging in the userlib objects.
I build a few modells with elevators moving TEs now, and this solution seems to be nice and easy for not to many levels.

I think I will upload it into the downloadsection too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Elevator_Dummy_4_3.zip (120.9 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by Nico Zahn; 06-16-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2008
Flexsim User

If you want to plan out the OP, do not use the stopobject command, because if the OP is not reaching the aimnode before the object which is transported by the elevator, the OP will not be released anymore. Use the delay task with a waiting station instead!
Old 07-16-2008
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

Nico,

I finally got around to taking a look at your elevator_dummy model. I'm not sure I understand what is going on in the model. I see boxes going up and down via a standard Flexsim elevator, and then I see operator follow network nodes for the most part, but then every once in awhile they "jump" to another layer represented by a VisualTool. Is this what I'm supposed to be seeing?

Cliff
Old 07-17-2008
Flexsim User

Hi Cliff,
what you see is a network which stopps the TE when he comes to a node where there would be the elevator. Then a item is created and transported by the parallel running elevator. The moment this item leaves the queue the nodeedge is opend, and the te is travelling (jumping) to its aimnode. This aimnode is opend when the item which is transported by the elevator reaches its aim. So the TEs are delay in the way they would be when they would use the elevator, but they do not have to leave the network to be load as as a flowitem. For me this did the trick, I could use standard travel task for the TEs and see the utilization of the elevator even with a capacity bigger than 1.
I admit it does not look very nice but for results it is as good as having a more complicated model which would be diconnecting TEs, loading the TEs into the elevator and connecting them again to the network on another floor.
Old 07-17-2008
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

Clever. Way to think "out of the box"!

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solidworks object Simon Farsah Q&A 13 06-11-2012 08:36 PM
send a flowitem from a mobile object to another mobile object KelvinHo Q&A 5 03-03-2010 08:24 AM
how to support chinese object name? qin tian Q&A 8 01-11-2010 02:53 AM
COM Object for Controlling Flexsim Anthony Johnson User Development 6 02-25-2009 11:43 AM
Can the new object like followed explanation be created? syseo Q&A 0 09-23-2007 06:15 AM