ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-05-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Lydia Franck is on a distinguished road
Default IDLE and EMPTY

Hi,

can anybody tell me the difference between the state IDLE and the state EMPTY (e.g. for a robot)?

Many thanks in advance!
Regards, Lydia.
Old 08-05-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

I guess you are asking because the manual is a bit confusing.
So hopefully one of the developers will clarify it.

I will try to explain as far as I understand the different states, but I might be wrong.

Empty means the object is empty, e.g. Queue., which means there is no flow item in the Queue.
But if I look in the manual under Processor it says Idle means – The object is empty. I am not sure if this is a good explanation, because it means in this case that the Processor is not processing or in any other state like Wating for something. On the other hand it is correct, because the Processor is also empty.
I think the developer of the object needed to make a decision which state to choose, because the object should only be in one state.

I guess that the states depend on the object class. A TaskExecuter has other states than a FixedRessource which are the bases of the objects (as said in the manual). Beside this the functionality of the object will also lead to some state, like Idle for a Processor and Empty for a Queue.

On the most objects the manual says which states are possible for this object, but unfortunately not for the Robot. I build a small model and the robots empty state seems to be Idle.

Lydia, does the robot in your case also has the state Empty? Or is he just Idle and some other states?

I am not sure if this post is really helpful, but I hope that one of the developer or someone else will help to clarify the question.
Old 08-05-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Lydia Franck is on a distinguished road

Thank you, Tom, for your fast reply.

I think you are right - the robot does not seem to get into state EMPTY. If it has nothing to do, it is in state IDLE.

So it would be nice to have the manual completed for the robot.

Best regards, Lydia.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About "empty bucket" operation? zhang xin Container Terminal (CT) Library 6 04-15-2013 03:42 AM
How to find the idle time of the job/product? shivrash Q&A 5 04-09-2008 09:01 AM