ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Gripes and Goodies
Downloads

Gripes and Goodies Software problems and suggestions

Old 03-17-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0
qin tian is on a distinguished road
Default improve Connections method

In one of my big model, there are so many connections that I cannot see the objects clearly. I have a suggestion to improve it.

In the side bar of Orthen view, we can have four checkbox:

1 show connections to selected objects only
2 show connections from selected objects only
3 show connections to and from selected objects only
4 show all connections (Include unselected objects)

Thus, we can exclude irrelevant connections when debug model.
Old 03-18-2008
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

Nice suggestion Qin.

Another thought regarding connections, would be to have different colored lines definable by the user for different families of connections. I also think it would help communication to have arrow heads at intervals along the lines to indicate direction for output-to-input port connections.

Some people have suggested we make the connections have a data structure of their own, so that they can be clickable, have attributes, and be deleted via the mouse, etc. I'm not sold on this idea because of the amount of overhead this would bring to a model.

I would like to hear other people's suggestions regarding connections. Port connections are a big part of the Flexsim package, and we will be looking at ways to improve them in future releases (specifically the 4.5 release in August).
Old 03-18-2008
Flexsim User

Yes, cliff, I like your idea.
And I think we'd better use dropdown list instead of checkbox to express the above four options.
Old 03-18-2008
Flexsim User

I like arrow.

As to color, I think we can have the following options:
1 change color of connections to selected objects
2 change color of connections from selected objects
3 change color of connections to and from selected objects
Old 03-19-2008
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

How about we have the option to show this information just for the highlighted object - that way the user can quickly click from one to another?

Secondly, I think it would be nice to do something similar to cells in spreadsheets when you double click on a formula and it colours the borders of the cells the formula references. We could show different coloured bounding boxes around objects depending on whether they are an input, output and center object. We could even put a number above the object indicating the port number.
Old 03-22-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 22
tobias.biemueller is on a distinguished road

I think a combination of arrows, colors and a fast choice in the sidebar will be the best.

I attach a picture of one of my models.. if its only with colors and arrows, you can not see anything. So selected objects ports on or off its better for the overview.

Tobias
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	Connections.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	950.5 KB
ID:	167  
Old 03-25-2008
Flexsim Super Moderator

Downloads: 64
AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough

We could have two group of options:

Show connections for:
  • Highlighted Object;
  • Selected Object;
  • All Object;
Connection From/To:
  • From;
  • To;
  • Both;
By the way, there are keyboard shortcuts to view connections, V+Left Mouse Button to view input/output, and C+Left Mouse Button to view central connections. However, only names of connected objects are displayed. If the connection lines are also displayed, that would help too.
Old 03-26-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Not to burst anyone's bubble on cool stuff that could be added but hiding the ports of a group of selected objects already exists.

With the Show Connections check box checked so that you can see all of the ports select a group of objects that you don't want to see the ports for and in the Edit Selected Objects group on the left of the view go to the Switches option and click the Toggle Ports button. Like magic all of the ports for the selected objects will disappear.

This isn't as cool as some of the suggestions made but it is a way to do what you want right now without having to wait for a new release.

Brandon

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there any simple solution to support batch mean method in flexsim? qin tian Q&A 1 02-29-2008 01:19 PM
Flickering yellow line during drag connections in Vista Dr. Eamonn Lavery Q&A 0 11-09-2007 10:48 PM