ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 10-28-2007
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
TanSiying is on a distinguished road
Default Help on flexsim data input into source and processer

Hi, I’ m a rookie in flexsim and I’ll like to ask a few questions about my project on it. Here’s a detailed explanation on what’s going on. First the truck will come in with a truckload of magazine. Then the people in the workplace will unload the pallet. They will put all the pallets onto floor to the unloading area and transfer cartons onto the trolley and bring to the pre sort station.

Question:
May I know what sort of arrival style will suit this? Will it be inter arrival time, arrival schedule or arrival sequence? Also I have raw data in the magazines in percentage may I know how to input this data into the source?

1st station (Pre sort station)

At the pre sort station, the magazines are sort according to alphabet. . The 2 operators who are sorting will open up the cartons and take some magazines and throw them into respective cartons according to alphabet. If damaged it will be put aside.

Number of magazines to be pre sort = 7200
The timing for pre sort is 8 magazines per min.
Total Min required = 7200/8= 900min

Question :
How to input this data into the processer?
For the operator, I’m wondering what are the differences in putting 2 operators in the processer itself compared to dragging 2 operators from the table. Which one is more appropriate for the cases I mentioned above?

2nd station (Sorting station)

After pre sort, it will be sent to the sorting station will it will be sort according to magazine titles. 2 operators here will pick up some magazines and sort according to the same title. When the carton is empty, it will be brought back to pre sort station.

The timing for pre sort is 12 magazines per min.
Total Min required = 7200/12 =600min

Question :
How to input this data into the processer?
For the operator, I’m wondering what are the differences in putting 2 operators in the processer itself compared to dragging 2 operators from the table. Which one is more appropriate for the cases I mentioned above?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!~ Thank you very much. =)
Old 10-29-2007
Technical Support Manager

Downloads: 79
Jeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really nice

TanSiying,

Station 1:
Quote:
The timing for pre sort is 8 magazines per min.
Total Min required = 7200/8= 900min
7200/900 = .125 or a processing time of .125 seconds.

Station 2:
Quote:
The timing for pre sort is 12 magazines per min.
Total Min required = 7200/12 =600min
7200/600 = 12 or a processing time of 12 seconds.

I'm not really sure I understand what you are trying to ask about the operators.
Old 10-30-2007
Flexsim User

Thank you for replying to my post =), I'll try to make it clearer this time. For the processer time given, I'm wondering which process times will best suit the situation I described, like is it by expression, by time of day or? Here’s a screenshot to show what I meant. http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h21/fuji_angel/processtime.jpg

Then for the operator here are the links to another two screenshots, if I want to operator is supposed to work in a workstation should I input the data into the processer itself http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h21/fuji_angel/flexsim.jpg
or should I put the operators outside? http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h21/fuji_angel/untitled-2.jpg And what is the difference of doing so. Thank you for your help once again, and I hope it’s clearer this time, please tell me if it still isn’t and I’ll try my best to explain what I mean again.

Old 10-30-2007
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

I think you are lacking some basic training on how to use operators in a Flexsim simulation model. You will find it helpful to work through the tutorials in the Help > User Manual >Tutorials. Lesson 2 in the Tutorial section of the help documentation gives step by step instructions on how to assign operators to a processor for setup time (which is similar to how assignments are made for the processing time). You will also learn what is needed to use an operator for transporting items. It is extremely simple to assign operators in a model, but you first need to understand the basic idea behind it., and working through the tutorials will teach you this quickly.

I also highly recommend you read through the last section in the Tutorials chapter called "Flexsim Concepts". It will give you an excellent base to build on.
Old 10-30-2007
Flexsim User

Ok, I'll definitely read through the tutorials. Thanks for replying. =)