ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 05-17-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Esther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to all
Default .3ds file in Flexsim 5.02

Hi,

We have a .3ds files with corresponding .xds and .yds files for an object that we created in version 4. In version 4, the truck, as that's wat is it, looks ok. In Flexsim 5.02 however, the truck doesn't look ok anymore. Is there anything I have to change to make the truck look ok again in version 5?

Esther
Old 05-17-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough

same problem here
Old 05-17-2010
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

For 5.02, we removed support for xds and yrl files. The 3ds format will automatically size the Flexsim object when you load it in so you can make it the size you want in the the modeling software that you use (3ds max, ac3d, etc) before you export it to 3ds. The wrl format allows you to specify crease angles, backface culling, and luminosity without a yrl file so we removed that feature as well.

If you don't have a 3d modeling software package for fixing the size of the shapes, you can save a "composite visual" t file in Flexsim that will retain the shape's path, offsets, sizes, and any surrogate animation as well. You can then load that file rather than the shape itself in order to get the correct sizes and shapes each time you load the file. There is more information about "composite visuals" on this thread: http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...ead.php?t=1285

xrl and yds files remain because they add functionality to the import that doesn't exist in the formats they represent: wrl (Flexsim resizing information lacking) and 3ds (crease angle, backface culling, luminosity parameters lacking).
Old 05-18-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 27
Esther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to all

Hello Phil,

I am afraid that your reply did help me understand me a little bit better, but could not help me solve my problem. We have AC3D so I looked at the file in AC3D, Flexsim4 and Flexsim5. The model contains several surfaces that have textures (.bmp). In Flexsim5 it looks like not all textures are connected to the correct surfaces or are not connected at all. I have attachted some pictures to try to help you understand my problem. Hope you can give me a hint how to solve the problem.

Esther
Attached Files
File Type: zip Truck.zip (499.3 KB, 205 views)
Old 05-18-2010
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried 'Reload Media' from the File->System menu? Moving to version 5.02 I seemed to lose some geometry and reloading media brought it back.
Old 05-18-2010
Manager of Product Development

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4
Anthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

This is a bug. I wish we had caught this a little earlier so we could put the fix into 5.0.2. Oh well. We'll put this on the list for the next release. Unfortunately the only way that seems to work to fix this in the current version is to make truck.3ds rely on fewer textures. I'm attaching my modification.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Truck3DS.zip (86.0 KB, 192 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Johnson For This Useful Post:
RalfGruber (05-25-2010)
Old 05-20-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough

problem solved

Tags
.3ds .xds .yds

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*.skp file conversion utility? Sven Polz Q&A 20 04-19-2011 03:33 PM
How to get a full path of the current open Flexsim model file. Regan Blackett Tips and Tricks 7 04-17-2008 10:39 AM
Problems with wrl file Steven Hamoen Q&A 1 01-25-2008 06:00 AM
importtable() csv-file Lolke Koopmans Q&A 3 12-26-2007 06:54 PM
Start Flexsim and model from externally via a batch file Tom David Q&A 3 09-12-2007 03:17 PM