ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-07-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Joshua Cole is on a distinguished road
Default Sketchup Pro Export Settings

Good morning everyone. My name is Joshua Cole and I am an industrial engineer in the restaurant industry. My question concerns importing a 3D model from Google Sketchup Pro into Flexsim.

Using Sketchup Pro, I have exported my model in WRL, 3DS, and DXF file formats. In Flexsim, I drag a VisualTool into my model, go into its properties, and change the Visual Display to "Imported Shape." I then direct the model to the filename of the exported file. The scale of the VisualTool is set to 1x1x1.

When I tried the WRL and 3DS filetypes, nothing happened. There wasn't even a lag time to hint that the model was being loaded. Once I click "OK" on the properties window of the VisualTool, all I see is a blank screen, no matter how far in or out I zoom.

When I tried the DXF filetype, I was able to see the model, but the quality was very poor. I've heard that the WRL filetype is the best one to use, so I'm hoping that someone has a suggestion on how I can get the WRL import working. Are there settings within Sketchup Pro that I need to change prior to exporting?

For reference, I have the Flexsim Graphics Configurator set on High Compatibility. Also, the filetypes were all 3-5 MB in size. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Joshua,

Most of the time when people are having problems import wrl(version 1) and 3DS files it can be narrowed down to one of two problems.

First, make sure that the model is scaled to an appropriate size in Sketchup. If the model uses a unit like millimeters and your flexsim model assumes units of meters or feet then the model would import so big that you might not be able to see it. The opposite can also be true, where the model is so small that you would have to zoom way in to find it.

Second, make sure that the model is located at the origin in Sketchup. Sometimes models are built and the machine or building is placed at it's actual location relative to a designated origin. When you import that into Flexsim then the model can appear a great distance from where you have placed the shape.

If these don't seem to help you out then you can try posting the shapes or posting a test shape on this thread and one of the rest of us can take a look at it for you.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 08-07-2009
Flexsim User

Brandon,

Thanks for your reply. I apologize that it's taken me so long to respond. I adjusted my Sketchup model so that it was located at the origin. After exporting the model again, I was still unable to load it properly in Flexsim.

Also, how do you know what units a flexsim model assumes? Is this a setting somewhere in Flexsim? The model I am trying to import is based in feet, with the largest measurement being about 40'. What's the best way to prepare Flexsim for this?

I am attaching a sample model that has similar dimensions and settings as the model I am working with. I am attaching both the sketchup file and the exported wrl file. I've tried importing this into Flexsim and I get the same results as before.

Thanks for your help!

Joshua
Attached Files
File Type: zip shape.zip (36.5 KB, 250 views)
Old 08-07-2009
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

Joshua,

I opened your sample with notepad to find that it is VRML 2.0 format. Flexsim accepts VRML 1.0. Unfortunately I have not used Sketchup, does your version have an export to VRML 1.0?
When you reply, can you attach a 3ds sample?

Kris
The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
Joshua Cole (08-07-2009)
Old 08-07-2009
Flexsim User

That was a great catch, Kris. I'm not sure if Sketchup allows you to change the settings to VRML 1.0. I was unable to locate such a setting. I will look around to see if I can find the answer to that question. Also, I have attached the 3DS file as you requested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip shape.zip (42.6 KB, 243 views)
Old 08-07-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Joshua,

Here is the .3DS file you posted as a VRML 1 file. I used AC3D to do the conversion. I checked the shape in Flexsim and it is rather large so, you might need to scale the shape. You can do that by modifying the size of the object or you can edit the shape factors.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Attached Files
File Type: zip VMRL1_Shape.zip (3.1 KB, 235 views)
Old 08-10-2009
Flexsim User

I've downloaded AC3D and am using that to convert my 3DS files to VRML 1.0. It's working great! I appreciate the help.
Old 03-15-2011
FlexSim User

Downloads: 16
Olivier Pellegrin will become famous soon enough
Default Pluggin AC3D for Sketchup

Hi all,

I've found a pluggin to Sketchup (which works fine with v8) that you can copy/past into the "pluggin" folder of your sketchup installation.

It allows you to export in .ac and so to change size, color, move, etc into AC3D as usual.

Won't forget to select all the sketchup parts before exporting them.

Enjoy!

N.B.: change the ".txt" extension to ".rb"
Attached Files
File Type: txt ac3d_export.txt (10.5 KB, 322 views)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Flexsim support Google SketchUp ? qin tian Q&A 10 02-05-2011 12:04 PM
How to export the result of Perfoormace Measures Vic Li Q&A 0 11-11-2008 11:56 PM
Export of statistic data from Experimenter Matthias Hofmann Q&A 1 11-04-2008 09:05 AM
Visio Export to FlexSim Jon Fournier User Development 0 06-25-2008 07:29 PM
Recorder automatic export Stephanie Giovannini Q&A 3 03-19-2008 04:52 PM