ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Competitive Comparisons
Downloads

Competitive Comparisons An open discussion of Flexsim's strengths and weaknesses compared to competitive products

Old 08-17-2009
Flexsim Australia

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0
Kenny Macleod will become famous soon enoughKenny Macleod will become famous soon enough
Default How does Flexsim compare with ExtendSim?

Does anyone have experience with both ExtendSim and Flexsim?

During a Flexsim presentation, someone asked how the two compare. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kenny
Old 08-17-2009
LINWEIXU

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have, l used extendsim more than two years ,i think Discrete system simulation flexsim is more power and flexible than extendsim,but extendsim is more easy to learn.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Kenny Macleod (08-25-2009)
Old 08-25-2009
Flexsim Australia

Kenny Macleod will become famous soon enoughKenny Macleod will become famous soon enough

Thanks Linweixu,

Good to know this but I need a bit more information; for example comparative functionality, pros/cons of each, etc..

Is there anything you can add?

Kenny
Old 08-26-2009
LINWEIXU

Downloads:
Uploads:

if you tell me what do want to do by Simulation,perhaps i can tell you more.
Extendsim control logic is more difficult,You can only control logic by changing the port parameters set, , if not the port, you can't control.
flexsim,the flexsim tree is a advantages. by tree you can control logic and
variables everywhere,the flexsim trriger is very useful,Flexsim 3d more powerful,Visual effect is better,is very useful for debugging model.and flexsim can control message (by sengmessage or senddelayedmessage)but extendsim. in extendsim there are also have messages ,But it is obsure,Flexsim have very strong expansibility but extendsim Unless you can develop ,there are a lot advantages in flexsim,so I started to learn flexsim.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Kenny Macleod (08-26-2009)
Old 08-26-2009
Flexsim Australia

Thank you, I appreciate your assistance. I'll discuss this with the ExtendSim user and ask if there's anything of particular interest.

Kenny
Old 08-27-2009
CN biggest Sim***** *****

Downloads: 70
zhouzheng is on a distinguished road

linwei
can you give a specific example (maybe models) to justify your comment ??
as i think , Extendsim's 3D is not good,but the logic is flexsible. and easy to create your own object, but this needs study the developer reference.
The Following User Says Thank You to zhouzheng For This Useful Post:
Focus Kang (08-27-2009)
Old 08-28-2009
LINWEIXU

Downloads:
Uploads:

if you use extendsim,you can not dynamicly get the number of item in unbatch block(especialy,every out port item num),you can not because there is not port for this ,i have a lot of examples.can you use developer reference???? we just use it ,few person can develop it.if we can develop it,we also can develop own soft.

Last edited by LINWEIXU; 08-28-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 5
Focus Kang is on a distinguished road

Linwei,
You are not yourself ! What happened to you ?
Is ExtendSim not being quite as good as what you thought before?
I think you should compare both advantage and disadvantage aspects of ExtendSim and Flexsim. Please don't only particularize disadvantages of ExtendSim. Thank you !
Old 09-05-2009
LINWEIXU

Downloads:
Uploads:

kang ,extendsim is more easy to learn,This is the advantages,
Old 09-08-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Henry Bell is on a distinguished road
Default Experience with ExtendSim / FlexSim

Hi,

We have both products. They are products that are to a certain degree complementary.

We use FlexSim for visualization on complex, closely coupled systems where part location and orientation is critical. It's built in Graphing is better. On the other hand, in a dynamic facility design and equipment layout environment, it takes an enormous amount of effort to convert equipment drawings from CAD systems like ProEngineer into a compact fast format (VRML). If you have weekly updates to equipment drawings rendering those to VRML for multiple Level of detail can take alot of time. Modeling for external customers with no simulation experience can be more persuasive, unless of course they fixate on visual details which do not affect system performance. For example you select a forklift from a standard library of images, but the real system uses one with a different fork configuration. The 3D engine and animation are obviously more mature in Flexsim, but ExtendSim's use of the Torque game engine seems to provide room for future growth. Moving 3D Graphics to ExtendSim requires non-bundled software.

ExtendSim is used for modeling systems with lots of items, where some items you want to see moving in the animation and others need not be animated. ExtendSim's integrated relational database is also a very fast (much faster than ODBC) way to create, access, and write data during a model run. Many of our ExtendSim models have hundreds of database tables and thousands of items so having the database is a key feature. If you build models for statistical studies, 3D visualization really doesn't provide any significant benefit, because if your running 40 replications of a model that takes 30 minutes to run you wouldn't really watch the runs execute. The open block code make customizing functions or writing database enabled blocks simple. In our experience, model development seems to go faster on ExtendSim. Once we have the equipment quantity and buffer sizing we can fine tune it in a Flexsim model.

Hope this helps,

Henry B.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Henry Bell For This Useful Post:
Tom David (09-08-2009)