ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 05-26-2012
Flexsim User

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0
Manoj Kumar is on a distinguished road
Default Order picking by using inter arrival time

Hi Friends,
I am doing a project on warehouse order picking which has more than 10 racks containing same item type . Order pick-list is generated on specific time interval using source, source is connected to queue. On the given time queue refers to the global table containing information such as rack number, bay, level. By using this information the items are brought down to queue.
I have used pull option in queue to get flow items from rack.
My doubts are
1. How to trigger the queue on specified time (from source) to get the items?
2. How to refer the different racks as given in global table (now i am getting items from first rack alone based on bay and level position)?
I have gone through picking examples provided in forum but unsuccessful.
Help me out.
Old 06-05-2012
FlexSim Development

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 29
Matt Long is a glorious beacon of lightMatt Long is a glorious beacon of lightMatt Long is a glorious beacon of lightMatt Long is a glorious beacon of lightMatt Long is a glorious beacon of light

If you want to specify certain times to pull items to the queue, you could have the source send a message to the queue at the desired time that will open the input port of the queue. This will cause the queue to begin pulling. Then close the input port when you're done.

For sending items to a specific rack, you could store the port number of the associated rack in your global table.
Old 06-07-2012
Flexsim User

Hi Matt,
Could you please upload a sample model for the first part of the solution explained by you. I have tried but not able to obtain the desired result.Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2012
FlexSim Development

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 29
Matt Long is a glorious beacon of lightMatt Long is a glorious beacon of lightMatt Long is a glorious beacon of lightMatt Long is a glorious beacon of lightMatt Long is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know if this is really what you're looking for. It's hard to know from your explanation without seeing your model. But in this example model the source creations some number of items on a given schedule. The items are sent to then sent to the rack. The last queue's input port is closed when the model resets, so it doesn't automatically open start pulling items from the rack.

Once the source creations a batch of items, it tells the queue to open it's input port, and then sends a delayed message to the queue to stop pulling items.
If you want something more specific, or this isn't what you're wanting, attach your model and I can take a look at it.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Sample Rack.fsm (29.8 KB, 165 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Long For This Useful Post:
Manoj Kumar (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Manoj,

here is another model without messages, but with the same approach:
control input of the queue.
ChangePullRequirement.fsm

Jörg

Last edited by Jörg Vogel; 12-03-2014 at 03:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jörg Vogel For This Useful Post:
Manoj Kumar (06-08-2012)
Old 06-09-2012
Flexsim User

Hi Jorg,
Thanks for your model, this was the model which i was looking for.
In your model you have set the labels in "source1 releasing time" which is used in pull requirement of the queue.
What i was trying is to refer a global table (having rack, bay, level number) in pull requirement for every arrival time provided in source.
I have attached a model in which there is problem in referring to the global table. Help me out.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Table pick.fsm (20.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 06-09-2012
Flexsim User

Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Manor,

to change the row I use the input of the pulling queue.
The Pull Requirement function is executed over every available item to receive. Therefore the return value is 1 or 0. The return value 1 will pull the flowitem referenced by item in the function. Therefore I use a logical comparision of the item I want to receive from the rack and the item, which is checked currently at the Pull Requirement.

Jörg

Last edited by Jörg Vogel; 12-03-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-11-2012
Flexsim User

Hi Jorg,
Thanks for the model. Is there anyway that reference to global table can be provided in the "pull requirement", because what i am trying to achieve is during each arrival time some quantity of flow items has to be pulled to the queue by referring the global table positions (which i intended to do using loops).
Old 06-11-2012
Flexsim User

Hello Manoj,

sure, there is a way. Important is still the comparison of the item you want to receive and the item which is checked in the Pull Requirement. Also you have to stop the pulling method at some time. Therefore close the input of the queue.

Jörg
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Table pick_2_jv.fsm (37.7 KB, 449 views)

Last edited by Jörg Vogel; 12-03-2014 at 02:23 AM.
naren nataraj (10-10-2012)
Old 06-12-2012
Flexsim User

here is an example in Version 6.
Jörg
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Table pick_3_jv.fsm (38.2 KB, 385 views)

Last edited by Jörg Vogel; 12-03-2014 at 02:25 AM.
naren nataraj (10-10-2012)
Old 06-12-2012
Flexsim User

Hi Jorg,
Thanks for the model. When i added task executor to the model, the flow item does not wait for the next arrival time instead they empty the whole rack at single stretch. Is this the problem associated with the pull function in the queue?
Old 06-12-2012
Flexsim User

Hello Manoj,

that is another runtime problem. The input of the queue is closed, when the two flowitems have entered the queue. But all tasksequences have been already dispatched when this happens. If you want to control the number of dispatched tasksequences, close the input of the queue, where the tasksequences are dispatched - in the rack of the model > Flow > Output > Use Transport. See my model.

Jörg
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Table pick_4_jv.fsm (46.6 KB, 439 views)

Last edited by Jörg Vogel; 12-03-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Manoj Kumar (06-12-2012)

Tags
order, picking

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inter-arrival Time From Global Table shashanktrivedi Q&A 2 06-15-2011 11:01 AM
Problems about Input order and picking order Fernando Fan Q&A 8 06-10-2011 03:55 AM
inter arrival time for pulling sink Congshi Wang Q&A 6 11-11-2010 05:18 AM
Creating more than one itemflow in source (inter-arrival time style) shafizad Q&A 8 07-12-2010 07:08 AM
Inter Arrival Time by Time of Day Mod Brandon Peterson Tips and Tricks 0 04-23-2008 11:13 AM