ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Tips and Tricks
Downloads

Tips and Tricks Share helpful modeling ideas

Old 12-27-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Preethi Sivaramakrishnan is on a distinguished road
Default Container Terminal Operation - trucks wait area

Hello everyone.

I am a new user of flexsim.
I have developed a small sample model of a container terminal. As shown in the picture, it works like this. The trucks carry export and import containers from and to yard blocks and quay cranes. I have added 4 lanes (as network nodes) in qc side and 6 lanes for yard block side. There is some space in between the upper and lower lanes.
Now,
(a) I wanted the trucks to queue in the middle area of the corresponding yard block it has to pickup/deliver.
(b) Check whether there is a free transfer point on that particular yard block.
(c) If yes, it has to go tat yard block, else wait in the queuing area, and check later.

For this, the truck has to get the information dynamically of which yard block the truck has to pickup\deliver.

I have no idea of what coding I should code and where I should code into. I am new user of flexsim and also programming.

All of your guidance would be so invaluable.

Thanks and Regards
Preethi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	a.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	610.4 KB
ID:	1600  
Old 12-28-2011
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

You could use a TrafficControl object to limit a given area of network nodes to a certain number of trucks. Any excess trucks will then wait at the outside of the TrafficControl area until there is room in the area.

It would be easier to show you how to do this if you would attach your model.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Preethi Sivaramakrishnan (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011
Flexsim User

Thank you so much ,

I was trying the traffic controller implementation.
But in other words I could describe the problem like this.

There are 4 lanes near QC and 6 lanes near YB. These lanes are connected by many vertical lanes (through network nodes). For each yard block there are 5 transfer points. So once all the 5 transfer points are occupied by trucks, the 6 th truck should wait in the vertical lane (the middle area- which connects the 4 lanes and 6 lanes) instead of waiting near the transfer point. So that it does not block the traffic.
Same way the 7 th 8 th should also start queuing behind the waiting 6 th truck.
The 6 th truck should keep checking weather it has a free transfer point, and if yes it should start travelling to the transfer point, else wait in the same area and check later.

I am also attaching my model with this, sir.
Your guidance would be invaluable

Thanks
Old 12-28-2011
Flexsim User

Sorry , attaching the model here with

thanks
Attached Files
File Type: fsm nocollhandlemiddlearea.fsm (535.4 KB, 142 views)
Old 12-29-2011
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Travelers on the network take the shortest distance from where they are to where they are going.

Because of this, only a few of the many paths in your model are even being used. Instead of building the network based on how your roads are laid out, you should build the network paths based on how you want the trucks to move in the model, keeping in mind that they choose their path based on the shortest distance possible.

You may have 4 and 6 lanes of traffic in reality, but those lanes aren't being used as lanes based on how you built the model with so many intersecting network paths. The extra nodes and paths are unnecessary detail that is complicating your logic.

You should simplify your model to only account for things that make a difference to the questions you are trying to answer with the model, and you should abstract away unnecessary detail.

Also, you need to connect a TrafficControl object to every network node in the area that you want it to govern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Preethi Sivaramakrishnan (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011
Flexsim User

Dear Sir

This helped a lot. So ill have further discussion on this point with the team and work on it, avoiding the complications by eliminating the unwanted details.
Will get back on any doubts further arises.

Thanks
Preethi
Old 01-04-2012
Flexsim User

If i wanted to make the trucks queue between the yardblock and quay crane, any idea of how could it be done.

For example, i was trying to use the gatequeue, connecting both the ends to the network nodes, but it does not work.
For detailed understanding I have attached the model. The requirement is is making the trucks queue in the area where I have added the gate queue.

All your guidance would be invaluable.
Thanks in advance
Preethi
Attached Files
File Type: fsm withgatequeue1.fsm (105.9 KB, 115 views)
Old 01-04-2012
Flexsim User

any guidance please?

Tags
container terminal, network node, programming, trucks

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batching, max wait time Chieng Kai Seng Q&A 27 08-29-2011 10:12 PM
About multi-selection od Additional Objects in Container Terminal Statistics Export Tab... syseo Container Terminal (CT) Library 0 02-10-2011 01:10 AM
Random generator for Yard Block Area and Transfer Area John Kim Container Terminal (CT) Library 1 09-21-2009 10:59 AM
Call Two operators for Repair but wait until both are available Brandon Peterson Tips and Tricks 6 10-15-2008 01:12 PM
Modeling container trucks Lin Jincong Q&A 2 08-04-2008 08:36 PM