ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 04-28-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
JMEngelhart is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Task Exec - pick up object without destination?

I have a system I am modelling. It takes in 2 empty pallets. when one of the 6 palletizers it services creates 2 FULL pallets, it goes there, drops off the 2 empties and picks up the 2 Full.

Then it transports the 2 full pallets and drops them at the stretchwrapper and picks up 2 more Empties at the same time.

The problem is that I don't know the destination of the empties when I pick them up. In an ideal world, I could wait until there was a full system ready and then get empties, but that isn't how it operates and I actually have 2 of these operating in the same space.

Any suggestions on how to approach this?
Old 04-28-2010
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to do this with as much default behaviour as possible, using just opening and closing for ports and hardly any flexscript or triggers this model might give you some ideas.

For speed I've just considered one pallet being delivered. It's a little deviating in approach, because I placed a queue in the transporter and the flow rule on that queue determines if the pallet can go to any port (when the pallet is empty) or just the finished pallet queue (port 7 if it's full). The finished pallet queue also checks (in its pull rule) that the pallet has items loaded to avoid the transporter taking empties there. When an empty pallet is unloaded at a palletiser it closes the input. When a pallet it finished it opens the port that was previously closed.

It needs refinement to cater for two pallets at a time and also to make sure the cycle is followed in strict sequence - at the moment it can unload two full pallets from different palletizers before collecting empties to replenish them.

As a 'quick and dirty' workaround, I don't think it's a bad approach - although the content related statistics of the transporter will be wrong since they will believe it's always loaded.

To do the task properly you might want to adopt a more agent-based/self-determining approach where the task excecuter generates its own jobs and evaluates the conditions of the system.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestTEasintermediateStorage.zip (77.1 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by Jason Lightfoot; 04-29-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 9
JMEngelhart is on a distinguished road

This is excellent. Just the example I needed.
I was wondering how to both connect to the queue if it was embedded (doesn't look like it is any different) and how to direct my flow.

Thank you so much!
The Following User Says Thank You to JMEngelhart For This Useful Post:
Jason Lightfoot (05-04-2010)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pick window on conveyor. Neil Brandon Q&A 9 02-04-2013 03:12 AM
Random pick item KelvinHo Q&A 3 09-03-2009 08:19 AM
How to queue transporters at destination? Shanon Loughton Q&A 1 03-31-2009 02:05 AM
Flexsim beginners are sometimes just amazing (Rack - Pick Operator) Tom David Q&A 1 12-05-2008 10:35 AM
profileevents() and order of event nodes under project/exec/events Tom David Q&A 3 05-15-2008 11:33 PM