ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 07-25-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0
qin tian is on a distinguished road
Default Does Flexsim support Google SketchUp ?

Does Flexsim support Google SketchUp 3D software?
http://sketchup.google.com/
Old 07-25-2008
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

The Pro version of Sketchup is able to export as VRML(*.wrl), 3DS and DXF formats which you can use with Flexsim. There are options for each export which may improve compatibility.

The free version is limited to Collada (DAE) and KMZ exports, so you would probably need to convert them using another tool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
qin tian (07-25-2008)
Old 07-25-2008
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

I bought Sketchup Pro specifically for its ability to export files compatible with Flexsim. It works great! Sketchup is a fun tool and opens up access to a ton of 3D content (especially for landscapes and buildings) available across the internet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff King For This Useful Post:
syseo (11-26-2008)
Old 07-29-2008
Flexsim Super Moderator

Downloads: 64
AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough

Hi Cliff,

How's the exported model with Sketchup Pro. Can it work perfectly with Flexsim?

For your information, here is a free tool that I found can export Sketchup file to either DXF or STL, both can be loaded into Flexsim directly. I tried to export a simple Sketchup building into DXF and STL, then load it in Flexsim VisualTool. The shape is ok but color is not good. A screen shot is attached. Maybe I can use AC3D to edit it before load into Flexsim.

Note that the plug-in is non-English version but it is very simple to use.

http://www.ltplus-bau.de/download.htm#sketchup
LTplus Google SketchUP® DXF-PlugIN-V.7.1 DE

Include DXF-Export and STL_Export

Installation:
1. Download the setup program.
2. Run the setup.
3. Choose Google SketchUp 6 directory when ask for directory. After that, you will find a LTplus directory under /Google SketchUp 6/Plugins.

Use the plug-in:
1) in Sketchup, load the model you wish to export
2) From the "plugins" menu, choose "LTPlus AI..." then "STL-Export" (or "DXF-Konvertor")
3) A file dialog box appears showing the folder where the export will be saved and suggesting *.stl (or *.dxf) as the filename. Navigate to a new folder if necessary, then replace the * with an appropriate name. Click "Open"
4) A popup box appears confirming the filename that will be created. Click "OK"
5) After a while, a summary box appears giving some stats. Click "OK"
6) A splash-box appears, click OK.

Please let me know if anybody tries the plug-in and finds it has good results in Flexsim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	SS-20080729151049.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	388  
Old 07-29-2008
Flexsim Technical Support

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 35
Tyson Nordgren is on a distinguished road

Alan,
Export the file as a .WRL. That will work fine with flexsim, with no needed plug in, if you have the pro version. If not, I suggest finding a plug in that converts to .WRL and not to .DXF.
Old 07-29-2008
Flexsim Super Moderator

AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the suggestion, Tyson. Please let me know if you or anybody can find a free plug-in to export to .WRL. The sketch-up pro cost about $500. The motivation is not strong enough for me to buy it yet.
qin tian (11-22-2008)
Old 07-30-2008
Beijing Beta Tech Ltd, Flexsim distributor

Downloads: 61
Liu Bin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lightfoot View Post
The Pro version of Sketchup is able to export as VRML(*.wrl), 3DS and DXF formats which you can use with Flexsim. There are options for each export which may improve compatibility.

The free version is limited to Collada (DAE) and KMZ exports, so you would probably need to convert them using another tool.
How to export Flexsim compatible wrl models? I try different settings of the options for several simple models, but I can not see them in Flexsim. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2008
Flexsim Super Moderator

Hi Liu Bin,

Do you have Sketchup Pro? The Sketchup free edition did not have option to export to wrl models.

Using the plug-in that I mentioned, you can export to stl or dxf which can both been loaded into Flexsim directly. If you have AC3D, you can also convert the dxf to wrl which is the best supported 3d format in Flexsim. But I am not sure how good the converted wrl from dxf is, as it is converted from a converted file.
Old 11-22-2008
Flexsim User

Hi, Alan. I use your plugin, and draw a simple cube in setchup, then export to stl.

In flexsim, I can see it, and even can change it's color in flexsim.
Old 11-22-2008
Flexsim User

Unfortunitly, it seems that the material of the stl have no effect in flexsim.
Old 02-05-2011
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of
Default Flexsim Imports Google Sketchup (*.skp) Files Directly

I just thought I would close out this thread, because Flexsim now is able to import Google Sketchup files directly without the need to convert. Sorry Google, but there is no longer a need for Flexsim users to pay the high price for Sketchup Pro...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cliff King For This Useful Post:
williamjpinto (02-08-2012)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to support chinese object name? qin tian Q&A 8 01-11-2010 02:53 AM
Access flexsim-dll-project in Google Code AlanZhang Wiki Articles 0 06-27-2008 12:43 PM
Is there any simple solution to support batch mean method in flexsim? qin tian Q&A 1 02-29-2008 01:19 PM