ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Installation
Downloads

Installation Installation, licensing and hardware issues

Old 06-11-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Stephan Seidel will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Flexsim 5 hangs while opening Help/Save/Load windows

Hi all,

I'll open a new thread because I found that the other thread "Cannot save project under Windows 7 64bit with FS4.5.2" doesnt describe the error quite well.
I installed FS4.5.2 and later FS5.0.2 on a new Lenovo W500 notebook and had in either version the following error. As soon as I try open one of these windows within Flexsim:
  • Open Model
  • Save...
  • Save Model as
  • User Manual
  • ...others...?
Flexsim crashes. It does not respond any longer to any command. Well thats not quite correct, the library and the orthographic view window still respond but everything else just stops.
Another user suggested running FS5 as an administrator and installing it into a different directory than "C:\Program Files" but these suggestions did not help either. Opening models from the startup wizard works. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Stephan

Old 06-11-2010
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Stephan,

since we never had this behaviour before, would you give us more information:

1. Although I don't think, this issue is graphics adapter related, would you let us know about the graphics adapter?
2. Have you tried yet to start Flexsim in "Compatibility Mode" yet?

Good luck!

Ralf
Flexsim Germany
The Following User Says Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Stephan Seidel (06-11-2010)
Old 06-11-2010
Flexsim User

Thanks Ralph. I actually wrote this message before reading your reply but your suggestion is right.

This is an update to the initial error description. The error appears to be graphics related. In case the graphics compatibility mode is activated, both versions (4.5.2 and 5.0.2) work fine under Windows 7. From a first test I couldnt find anything that did not work. As soon as I deactivated the compatibility mode the error reappeared.
Therefore I'd suggest the issue is related to the graphics card and its drivers. Here are some details of the pc:
  • Lenovo W500
  • Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics card
  • driver version: 8.15.10.1892
Any suggestions on how to overcome this issue? The driver seems to be up to date.
The weird thing is: the 3D graphics look fine and run smooth in normal mode its not like there are no 3D graphics at all.

All the best,
Stephan
Old 06-11-2010
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Stephan,

unfortunately your shiny new notebook does not meet the Flexsim system requirements...
Your chipset is an on-board chipset which gives only poor OpenGL support. Setting Flexsim to High Compatibility mode will enable you to work with small models, but as soon, as models and/or 3D models become larger, you will recognize significant slow downs (e.g. GUI´s will open very slowly after clicking the object).

I have seen the W500 also with an OpenGL enabled ATI card, this is why I was asking for your graphics adapter. Try to get back to your IT department and have them exchange your laptop for one which better supports OpenGL (if possible). And have a look at the thread dealing with graphic adapters within this forum before

Sorry for the bad news.

Good luck

Ralf
Flexsim Germany
The Following User Says Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Stephan Seidel (06-14-2010)
Old 06-14-2010
Flexsim User

Smile

Hi Ralph,

the bad news was actually good news. I double checked the Product ID of my Lenovo W500 notebook and found that it had an ATI FireGL graphics card. While being pretty puzzled why Windows 7 insisted on an Intel graphics chipset I googled and found that this machine has indeed two graphic cards. There is the Intel chip for low-power tasks and the ATI chip for 3D and other demanding tasks. Of course they cannot be active at the same time. Under Windows XP there is a tool (though I've not seen it) where you can switch between the two cards. Under Windows 7 this tools was not installed and therefore Windows found no ATI card. The solution was quite simple. I activated the ATI card in the system BIOS, Windows 7 found the new card, installed the appropriate driver and Flexsim worked like a charm.

Many thanks for your support.

Stephan
Old 06-14-2010
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about

Congratulation!!

David

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot save project under Windows 7 64bit with FS4.5.2 Stephan Seidel Installation 6 06-14-2010 07:30 AM
Problem finding Flexsim model files using Windows 7 Danny Pavan Q&A 2 12-22-2009 03:11 AM
Does Flexsim support windows 7? zhang xin Q&A 1 11-23-2009 07:34 AM
Opening of FlexSim State Files Fadhlullah Bin Rahmat Q&A 0 02-18-2008 04:57 AM