ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 04-24-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough
Default Model suddenly cant be opened!!

Hi,

Suddenly I CANNOT open my current project model and when I open the .fsm
a popup window of "Version Update" appear. (I'm using 4.32 already) Then after recompile, a blank model (with a blank tree! no "model" tree root)appeared.

I tried to open my backup file but for past 2 backup also cant work, but I can open the past 3 backup.

Regards,
Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	231  
Old 04-24-2008
Technical Support Manager

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
Jeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really nice

Kelvin,

Did you try renaming the .fsm! to .fsm and open that file?
Old 04-24-2008
Flexsim User

Dear Jeff,

I tried already, and even for my latest file .fsm! -> fsm still have the same problem
Old 04-25-2008
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

Your model may have gotten corrupted some how. One trick I use in cases like these, is to load the fsm file into a node of the view tree as if it were a .t file.

This can be done by opening the tree view, click on "View" in the lower left corner of tree window to get to the view tree, click on the last node in there which is a node called "environment" (click on the folder icon, not the name), press your space bar to add a blank node to the end of the tree, right-click on the new node, point to "Insert" and click "Load Into Node". browse for your model file (you will need to enter *.fsm to display model files as apposed to the default of .t which displays only tree files).

After the model file loads into the tree, you can expand the Tools folder within your model and look for what is written in the text data for the "release" node. Also look for any strange data in the model tree. Are there any non-object nodes besides the Tools folder? The model node itself should be an object type node, so check for that as well. If you suspect the problem is with something you recently added to the model, try deleting the new stuff and resave the model.

You save the model by right-clicking on the node, pointing to Insert, and clicking "Save Node As..." (make sure you save it with the extension .fsm and not the default of .t).

Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff King For This Useful Post:
KelvinHo (05-15-2008)
Old 05-15-2008
Flexsim User

I tried Cliff's suggestion but unfortunately it's dont work.

I found that the problem maybe somehow related to network drive, model filesize.

Actually I got the similar problem again recently. After many tests, I found that in my last openable backup (.fsm file size = 85mb), if I add just a visible tool and save in a new file (the save location is at an intranet network drive), the new file CANNOT BE OPENED and have a problem mentioned in my 1st thread. I havn face such problem for a smaller file size.

However, when I try to save the file in local computer, the file works properly.

This may be a serious problem for some users.

Regards,

Kelvin

Last edited by KelvinHo; 05-15-2008 at 09:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelvinHo For This Useful Post:
Cliff King (05-23-2008)
Old 05-23-2008
Flexsim Technical Support

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 8
Alex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to behold

I found out that when you save a model larger than 64MB onto a network drive, it makes a file the right size, but filled with 0's instead of data. When you use Windows Explorer to copy a file larger than 64MB to a network drive, then try to open it, it treats it as if it were filled with 0's, which makes an empty model tree. There is no node saying what version the model was made in, so it thinks it needs to compile it. I put this on the development list.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alex Christensen For This Useful Post:
Phil BoBo (05-23-2008)
Old 06-03-2008
Flexsim User

problem followup:

Even if file saved in local drive, if the file size is around 150Mb, Flexsim will hand and for a while close itself so the model cant be saved.

Kelvin
Old 06-04-2008
Flexsim Technical Support

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 8
Alex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to behold

I just successfully saved and loaded a model that is 167MB. It takes a while, so be patient.

150MB is a very large model. Almost every model I've ever seen is less than 10MB. Are there any simplifications you can do? Are you storing large amounts of data in tables? You might consider replacing a large data table with a well-fit random distribution. You could also use C++ to load a large data file into a multi-dimensional array every time the model opens. You could delete data tables before you save, then re-import them when you open.
Old 06-05-2008
Flexsim Super Moderator

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0
AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough

When I build models using CT library, it is very easy to get a model more than 30MB (see the contecar model in the CT download area) and it is not rare to have a model more than 64 MB, without using any global tables.