ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 06-18-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough
Default batching problem

Dear all,

I would like to batch flowitem to 12pcs in queue 2, then use an operator with capacity 12 to transfer 12 boxes to another queue 3, only when queue B content is less than 12 pcs.

I have problem:
If I use open/close port command, all the stacked boxes transfer task in queue A would be dispatched to the operator to hence transfer to queue B when once the port opened, no matter queue B is more than 12 pcs.

If I use do not release item in queue 2 and on msg to release item, don know how to trigger the 1st release (use user event? Tried but not work)

May I have some ideas?

Kelvin Ho
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1.zip (43.2 KB, 341 views)
Old 06-18-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Kelvin,

I removed all of the code that you had put into the model and set it ack to the default logic. Then I just used the normal batching for the first queue with a batch size of 12 and the flush contents box unchecked. When I did this I believe that I was able to see the problem you are trying to overcome, which is when the operator will take 10 boxes to the queue and then take the next two as individuals.

The reason for this problem was because the content of the second queue was only 10. Increasing the max content to 12 solved that problem. However, you can still get the operator carrying less than 12 flowitems. This happens when the first queue reaches 12 but there are still items in the secon queue. I solved this problem by having the second queue batch 12 items and checking the flush contents box.

Let me know if this solves your problem,
Brandon
Old 06-19-2008
Flexsim User

Hi Brandon,

I made the wrong setting in the concept model.

The main idea is the 2nd queue should have max 23 boxes, i.e. queue 2 will only get boxes only when 1. queue 2 content is less than 12 & 2. queue 1 have more than 12 (so the operator can make use of its full cap.)

Kelvin
Old 06-20-2008
Technical Support Manager

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
Jeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really nice

Kelvin,

Does the attached model do what you are wanting to do?
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1a.zip (45.8 KB, 318 views)
Old 06-24-2008
Flexsim User

Hi Jeff,

I increased the max content of queue3 and decrease the processing speed of the processor.

Since you are using open/close port, the model would fall into the following problem:
"If I use open/close port command, all the stacked boxes transfer task in queue A would be dispatched to the operator to hence transfer to queue B when once the port opened, no matter queue B is more than 12 pcs."

i.e. queue3 would have more than 23 boxes after running the model after a while, as once queue3 content is less than 12, all boxes from queue2 will be dispatched and goes into queue3.

Kelvin
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1b.zip (43.3 KB, 283 views)
Old 06-24-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Kelvin,

I wanted to see if what Jeff had supplied would answer your question before I responded. If you do what I suggested above, you stated that the problem would be that the second queue needed to have a max content of 23 but still only transport the flow items when the operator can move 12 at a time. To solve this problem you would want to check the quantity of the queue on entry and close the input ports if the quantity was greater than maxcontent - 12 (> 11). Then on exit you would want to check the quantity of the queue again and open the input ports if the quantity was less than or equal to maxcontent - 12 (<= 11).

So, if you do again what I suggested above and then put the above code in the entry and exit triggers of the queue you should get what you are looking for. A word of caution: You may want to send a delayed message at zero time to open and close the input ports so that you don't run into any errors.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 06-24-2008

Jeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really niceJeff Nordgren is just really nice

Kelvin, the model I sent you solved the problem as you had it stated. Now, if you change the parameters of the problem, then the solution changes as well. So, are you just trying to break the solution to your problem as originally stated by changing the parameters or do you have a specific problem? Or is this a theoretical question? Because if your problem is as originally stated, then my answer solves it. And, if by changing the problem it breaks the original solution, then I am confused. What exactly are you wanting?
Old 06-25-2008
Flexsim User

Hi all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinHo View Post
Hi Brandon,

The main idea is the 2nd queue should have max 23 boxes, i.e. queue 2 will only get boxes only when
1. queue 2 content is less than 12 &
2. queue 1 have more than 12 (so the operator can make use of its full cap.)

Kelvin

If the logic

"2nd queue will only get boxes only when
1. 2nd queue content is less than 12 &
2. 1st queue have more than 12 (so the operator can make use of its full cap.)"

is fulfilled

then 2nd queue content wouldn be more then 23 ( as previously mentioned as "should have max 23 boxes") even the max content of the 2nd queue is greater than 23.

So it's due to my poor problem explanation.

Kelvin
Old 06-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinHo View Post
Hi Brandon,

The main idea is the 2nd queue should have max 23 boxes, i.e. queue 2 will only get boxes only when
1. queue 2 content is less than 12 &
2. queue 1 have more than 12 (so the operator can make use of its full cap.)

Kelvin
Kelvin, if the second queue is never going to have a content greater than 23, why should the second queue's max capacity be more than 23?

Last edited by Jeff Nordgren; 06-25-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2008
Flexsim User

Coz in this conceptual model I would like to control the in/out by the logic of input/output but not the max content of the queue, as it may cause other problem in the model building when implementing the idea.

Sorry for any misunderstanding arose.