ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Tips and Tricks
Downloads

Tips and Tricks Share helpful modeling ideas

Old 07-10-2008
Flexsim Technical Support

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 8
Alex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to behold
Default operators working together to decrease process time

Here's an example of using BasicFRs as processors to have more control over processes. The BasicFRs call the idle operators who are most skilled at this process to help (up to 20, which is set in a label), it sums up their skills and divides the process time by this sum. I wrote and commented custom code in the BasicFRs and the Dispatchers' Send To trigger. The BasicFRs are identical except for their labels, and the dispatchers are identical. I've also configured a multiple table excel import to get the data from excel. It is possible to write Post Import Code to make, name, and connect operators based on the table, but I didn't want to make this model that complicated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip operators.zip (91.7 KB, 431 views)
Old 07-10-2008
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

I like your idea of a sample model showing how to have more control over the operators. The model's fun to watch too as the mass of operators scramble around the model looking like a bunch of crazed ants.

As another example, it would be good to give everyone a sample model that does it all:
  1. allow multiple operators up to a maximum
  2. screen operators based on operator attributes
  3. adjust the process time based on how many operators show up (not just who are available at the time the work is started).
  4. adjust the process time based on the attributes of the operators who show up.
  5. allow the process time to begin after a minimum number of operators show up, and then be recalculated as more operators arrive.
  6. allow operators to be preempted away from a job, and so long as there are a minimum number of operators still on the job, let the job continue but at a slower pace.
I'm addressing these issues with the new healthcare library, and they are quite challenging though doable. I'm using coordinated tasksequences with subtasks. One thing that would make it all easier is if allocations could be cancelled...

Anyways, I thought I would give you a challenge to keep you from getting too bored as you invent the next Rubiks Cube during your lunch breaks
Old 07-11-2008

Alex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to beholdAlex Christensen is a splendid one to behold

Here's what Cliff is talking about. I made a Rubik's Cube object in Flexsim. There's a user event sending it random messages 1-18 every pi/2 time units for the 18 different rotations a Rubik's Cube can do. It's just one of those things to show how cool Flexsim is. If you can model a Rubik's cube, you can model anything.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rubik's cube.zip (63.4 KB, 362 views)
Old 07-11-2008
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of
Default Rubiks Cube Simulation Video

Because Alex' simulation model of a Rubiks Cube requires compiling (I guess flexscript was too slow to crunch away at his multi-dimensional arrays contained in tree format, so he switched to C++), here's a video for those of you who don't have and don't want to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (even if it is free).

Old 07-14-2008

Anyone who reads this and doesn't already have it, please go to http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/ and download Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2008. It's free, and even if you don't have Flexsim, I recommend having it. It takes about an hour to download and install, but it's a powerful program.

Flexscript is fast enough for this model. I used C++ because I used an OpenGL command (multmatrixd) that isn't implemented in Flexscript.

I'm not sure I like the caption on your video, Cliff.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Displaying the simulation time with the various date/time formats. Regan Blackett Tips and Tricks 12 11-12-2012 08:01 AM
Can a combiner process multi items simultaneously? KelvinHo Q&A 6 11-08-2010 11:29 AM
Working Logic of Dispatcher AlanZhang Q&A 6 02-09-2009 10:38 AM
Operator dependent process times Unregistered Pre-sales Questions 7 05-23-2008 03:01 PM
AVI maker not working Asif Paranjpe Q&A 5 01-17-2008 02:15 PM