ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 10-27-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
morelant is on a distinguished road
Default Question about warehouse model

I am building a model of a warehouse. What I would like to do is have an operator remove a box from a conveyor and place to a pallet. Once the pallet reaches a certain quantity, it will call a transporter to move the pallet to a rack.

My initial attempt was to have a series of queues along the conveyor. The operator would remove the box from the conveyor and place in the queue by matching itemtype. Once the queue reached its content limit, I cleared the contents of the queue and generated a new flowitem (loaded pallet). The transporter would remove the new flowitem and move to a queue to await transport to the racks.

Although this method worked, it caused my model to have a large number of objects (600+) because I had 9 conveyors with 40 queues around each conveyor plus racks, transporters, sources, etc... This high number of objects has caused the model to run slowly and has made it almost impossible to manipulate around the screen.

Is there a better way to do this w/o creating all these objects? I thought about using a rack as floor storage instead of all the queues but I couldn't figure out how to define different content values for each bay and level of the rack.
Old 10-27-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 1
Pablo Concha is just really nicePablo Concha is just really nicePablo Concha is just really nicePablo Concha is just really nice

Hello, using the same approach, you could use sinks instead of queues, and use a label and a trigger to know when to create the new entity (loaded pallet) and reset the label.

regards

Pablo Concha E.
Old 10-27-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
morelant is on a distinguished road

Thanks Pablo but that wouldn't reduce my object count (I don't think). That's why I thought the rack might be a better option. One rack with 40 bays could replace my 40 queues. Although I suppose the sinks would be less visually intense than the queues....

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novice seeking HELP Getting Started with a warehouse model Nathan Dwyer Q&A 2 09-10-2008 11:15 AM
Vitor - warehouse operations for long steel products vgeorge Pre-sales Questions 2 07-12-2008 09:52 AM
question on sub-model KelvinHo Q&A 2 01-28-2008 04:31 AM