ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 02-28-2015
Flexsim User

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Joe Allen is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with selecting and unselecting objects

Hello all - I am at my wits end with Flexsim right now due to what I consider as unpredictable selection behavior when using Shift to select objects. This could of course be a "chair to keyboard interface" problem but it's impeding my progress nonetheless. The problem is particularly frustrating because I'm trying to enhance productivity by applying property settings to multiple objects at a time but Flexsim is selecting objects that I don't want it to select.

The probelm that I'm have is that Flexsim is selecting (red wire frame) an object other than the one (or more) that I am attempting to select. I hold down Shift and click on one processor and Flexsim also selects an entirely different and unrelated processor. I thought it might be that I accidently grouped these two objects or one was contained within the other in the tree but I have validated that neither is the case.

I know not many are checking these forums on the weekend but this is the only time I have to work on simulation models (I'm managing an OR team and filling in for a vacant OR analyst position at the same time). I would really appreciate any help that I can get.

I've read through the manual and searched forums for the solution to no avail. I apologize in advance for apparently not understanding the basics of how to perform simple selection tasks within this software.
Old 02-28-2015
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joe,

I presume you have one of the latest Flexsim version?
The first thing that comes to mind if I read your problem is the graphics card. Could you go to:
File -> Global Preferences -> Graphics and check the box: Compatibility Mode. Close Flexsim and restart it and check if the problem is solved.

If it is, it means that you have to update your graphics drivers. I don't know if you have a separate Graphics Card or onboard graphics. But in both cases it is very important to have the latest drivers.

If that doesn't solve please contact Flexsim directly because you have a strange problem..
Old 02-28-2015
Flexsim User

Steven - thank you very much for your quick response. I tried your suggestion and it didn't seem to work.
Old 02-28-2015
Flexsim User

I'm on Flexsim 7.3
Old 02-28-2015
Flexsim User

I've confirmed with some experimentation that the object that is being selected (the one I'm not trying to select) is always the last object in the tree.
Old 02-28-2015

Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be sure: you checked the box, applied, closed Flexsim and restarted

Few other suggestions:
Could you rotate your screen a little bit and try?
Can you reproduce it with a small model? If not can you post your model?

Could you update to version 7.5? (7.3 has 3.0, 3.2, 3.4 and 3.6 so quite some updates in between)

Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers?
Old 02-28-2015
Flexsim User

Yes I did apply, close flexsim and reopen, then checked to make sure the compatability mode option was checked.

I created a new model with 3 objects and the same behavior occurs there.

Haven't updated my graphics drivers yet or upgrade to 7.5. Since I absolutely have to finish the modeling this weekend I'm a little apprehensive about trying the upgrade path in case I run into additional problems even if it means it will take longer to finish.

Let me know if these concerns are unreasonable and I'll give it a shot and post the result. Otherwise I'll try Monday and post then.

Thanks again for your help I really appreciate the response over the weekend.
Old 02-28-2015

Ok I understand. Then don't update Flexsim. But try updating the drivers. If you create a restore point first, you can always go back very fast if the driver update doesn't work (but that is usually no problem).

Good luck with the model!
Old 03-02-2015
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

This is actually a problem CAUSED by compatibility mode. You shouldn't use compatibility mode unless your graphics card doesn't meet FlexSim's system requirements. We're still looking into how to fix this compatibility mode issue.

You should use the following steps to resolve graphics problems with FlexSim:
  1. Update your graphics driver to the latest version.
  2. Try a different graphics driver. If the graphics aren't working correctly and you are using an Intel, Nvidia, or AMD driver, try using the latest driver from the laptop manufacturer such as Dell/Lenovo/Asus/etc. If you are using one from your laptop manufacturer, try using the latest from the graphics card manufacturer: Intel, Nvidia, or AMD.
  3. Use a computer that meets FlexSim's minimum system requirements.
  4. Switch off Shaders in Global Preferences.
  5. Use compatibility mode only if you must use a computer that doesn't meet FlexSim's system requirements.
  6. Contact FlexSim to let us know that you meet the system requirements, have tried the latest drivers from your graphics card manufacturer and laptop manufacturer, and it still doesn't work. If this happens, then it is a development problem and we should fix it. Let us know what your system specs are that aren't working properly with FlexSim's graphics.

Last edited by Phil BoBo; 03-02-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2015
Flexsim User

I upgraded my driver and the problem persisted. I turned off compatability mode as Phil suggested and that corrected the issue.

Flexsim is running on an HPZ600 with Dual Processor E5640 @ 2.66Ghz
The graphics card is an nVidia Quadro 4000. Compatability shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for everyone's help!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Allen For This Useful Post:
Steven Hamoen (03-03-2015)

Tags
deselect, objects, select, unselect

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can the new AGV library objects not be drop in visual container objects? syseo Q&A 3 09-17-2014 08:15 AM
Problem with a coordinated task sequence. Could somebody please help spotting the problem? Vadim Fooks Q&A 1 08-27-2012 03:26 PM
Strange selecting objects behaviour in FS5? Paul Dowling Q&A 17 09-03-2010 12:24 AM
problem with automatic generation of objects by using a user library and c++ Martin Saler Q&A 17 06-05-2009 09:56 AM
change the objects in self modeled objects Manuel Kraenzle Q&A 7 10-27-2008 02:29 PM