ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 04-22-2016
Samuel Valente

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thumbs down U-shaped Work Cell - 3 Workers - Job Division

Hello, I am a new FlexSim and Forum user. My experience with the program is only a few days of trial and error, forum search, and that has led me to this point. Currently I can't make any progress on my simulation. Let me explain.

I have a U-shaped cell. Operator 1 (see attached image) builds the boxes, Operator 2 processes the items and packs them (6) in the box and Operator 3 "palletizes" the boxes, loads and unloads the pallet.
The source of the items puts them on a queue (could be a conveyor). After processing there is also a queue.
The issue is that Operator 2 can't handle all them items by himself. He needs help from the other 2 operators. I need Operator 1 and 3 to help Operator 2 when they are available. I tried some solutions like this: https://www.flexsim.com/flexsim-tuto...wo-processors/ but when O1 or O3 leave their job, they don't return in time. In case of Operator 1, this means that he doesn't build boxes in time and Operator 2 stops processing.

On the attached files, "DRAFT4" is not want I want, in this case there is no job division. On "DRAFT3" I tried to make everything work like I want, but I failed miserably

I have searched the forum but haven't found a solution for this.

Could you please advise?

Thanks in advance.

Samuel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	FlexSim.png
Views:	915
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	3239  
Attached Files
File Type: fsm draft3.fsm (35.4 KB, 882 views)
File Type: fsm draft4.fsm (33.4 KB, 891 views)
Old 04-26-2016
Samuel Valente

Thumbs up

Any thoughts?

Is the request too complex?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2016
Flexsim User

Downloads: 439
syseo has a spectacular aura aboutsyseo has a spectacular aura about
Default I attached your model to be some touched by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Valente View Post
Any thoughts?

Is the request too complex?

Thanks
I attached your model to be some touched by me.

Is that what you want?
Attached Files
File Type: fsm draft3_Seo.fsm (36.3 KB, 851 views)

Last edited by syseo; 04-27-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2016
Samuel Valente

Thumbs up

Syseo,

Thanks for your help, it is now much closer to what I expect.

Could you please give me just an extra hand? If we delete the process "proc_escolha26" and the packing "embalagem27" is it possible for the 3 workers to do the process on "proc_escolha" at the same time?

The biggest drawback of this model is that "operador2" and "operador3" have to wait until "operador1" finishes the batch, which causes the queue "buffer_copos" to increase. Is it possible for the 2 operators to keep working whenever there are boxes and to "operador1" to go help the others when the batch is full? Is it also possible to set a trigger for the minimum number of boxes on the queue "buffer_caixas" (let's say 2 boxes) for the "operador1" to come back to the process?

If you know any resources that may help me, please say so, you may not have the time to do this yourself and I understand that, no problem.

Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2016
Flexsim User

Default Please make the models by yourself...

Quote:
Syseo,

Thanks for your help, it is now much closer to what I expect.

Could you please give me just an extra hand? If we delete the process "proc_escolha26" and the packing "embalagem27" is it possible for the 3 workers to do the process on "proc_escolha" at the same time?
The biggest drawback of this model is that "operador2" and "operador3" have to wait until "operador1" finishes the batch, which causes the queue "buffer_copos" to increase. Is it possible for the 2 operators to keep working whenever there are boxes and to "operador1" to go help the others when the batch is full? Is it also possible to set a trigger for the minimum number of boxes on the queue "buffer_caixas" (let's say 2 boxes) for the "operador1" to come back to the process?

If you know any resources that may help me, please say so, you may not have the time to do this yourself and I understand that, no problem.

Thanks again.
1---> If you want for three workers to do process at same time, you should set the Number Of Operators as '3'.

2--> What do you mean? What is your doing?
I think the three processors upstream of combiners do not needed in your model. Which purpose is the three processors?

I do not know what you will do and think but All things you think and want to do is possible in flexsim.

You need to change the names of the resources to English for easy understanding.
Old 04-27-2016
Samuel Valente

Question

Seo,

I changed the names to English and did some modifications on the file. In terms of layout, that's what I would like to have. But now it's working worse than it was.

The "process_quality_check" doesn't need three workers at the same time. What I would like to do was that "operator_1" and "operator_3" would help "operator_2" when they have done their jobs, "process_build_boxes" and "process_palletize", respectively. That way, the number of items on "queue_items" would go down and the team could keep up with the pace.

The purpose of the first processor is for "operator_1" to grab carton and assemble boxes. The second process is a quality check for operator_1, 2 or 3 (if we could reject let's say 10% of the items it would be great). The first combiner is for the operator_1, 2 or 3 to grab 6 already checked items and put them in a box. The last processor is for "operator_3" to grab the boxes and put each one on the pallet. The last combiner is for combining boxes and pallet and for "operator_3" to prepare the new pallet (thus 40 seconds setup time).

I hope this clarifies something.

Thanks again Seo.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm draft3_Seo_V2.fsm (33.0 KB, 874 views)
Old 04-28-2016
Flexsim User

Default Which resource does need three workers at same time?

You need to make the tutorial models of help file.
And learn to use the dispatcher and the operator in setup time and process time.

1) If combiner_packing1 needs three workers at same time, combiner_packing1 should be connected to the dispatcher via center-port (s key - left mouse ) and you should set 'Number of Operators' to 3.

2) How many worker and which worker is needed in process_quality_check1?
If that needs one worker between operator_1 and operator_3 when they are available, you need one more dispatcher(2) connecting them.
And process_quality_check1 should be connected to the dispatcher2 using s key - left mouse.

3) When connecting three operators to the dispatcher, the connecting sequence is important. You can check the sequence in the general tab of the dispatcher and can change the sequence.
Old 04-28-2016
Samuel Valente

Lightbulb Alternative

Seo,

I tried a different approach with 3 sets of processor + combiner. Could you please take a look at the attached file?

The problem is that operator_1 is building the boxes to get to the queue_boxes batch level, the other operators stop, waiting for operator_1 to finish his job. Is there a way around this?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2016
Samuel Valente

Default File

Quote:
Seo,

I tried a different approach with 3 sets of processor + combiner. Could you please take a look at the attached file?

The problem is that operator_1 is building the boxes to get to the queue_boxes batch level, the other operators stop, waiting for operator_1 to finish his job. Is there a way around this?

Thanks.
Here is the file, sorry.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm draft3_Seo_V3.fsm (34.5 KB, 731 views)
Old 04-28-2016
Flexsim User

Default Hi. Samuel...What do you want in this model?

I do not understand what you want.

Do you need how to build the model that three operators do each job and when one of them do some jobs, other two operators available should help ONE operator at same time?

Which resource does need three operators at same time?
Which machine does need three operators at same time?
Old 04-28-2016
Flexsim User

Default This model is that packing2 need three workers at same time.

I attached the model which packing2 needs three workers at same time.

Please look carefully the attached model comparing with your model.
I changed how to connect the operators.

When Packing2 need three workers at same time, you need to use dispatcher to control three workers.
And you should set 'Number of Operators' to '3' in packing2.

And what I changed is 'Cycle To' in combiner as 'Do Not Recycle Items'.
You set 'Box'. Please look the manual carefully in meaning of 'Cycle To'.

What do you want?
Attached Files
File Type: fsm draft3_Seo_V3_1.fsm (35.8 KB, 721 views)

Last edited by syseo; 04-28-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2016
Samuel Valente

Smile

Thanks for your reply.
I changed the Recycle to None on the model attached. Thanks for the tip.
I am also doing the tutorials like you suggested. That's the right way.
As for the model, no task need 3 operators at the same time. I need something like you said:
"Do you need how to build the model that three operators do each job and when one
of them do some jobs, other two operators available should help ONE operator at
same time?"
And that's why I created 3 separate sets of processor+combiner.
The problem now is that when operator_1 is building the boxes batch, the queue doesn't let any boxes out, so operator_2 and operator_3 stop doing the quality check. Is there a way to create, for example, triggers on the queue? When it reaches 15 boxes, operator_1 stops and does the quality check, when it reaches 2 boxes, operator_1 comes back and builds more boxes?
Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm draft3_Seo_V3.fsm (35.3 KB, 764 views)
Old 04-29-2016
Flexsim User

Default OK. What you need is to write user code in quality check processor...

OK. I'll guide or give some hint.

You should make user code in trigger tab.
1) One processor should be needed for quality check after Que_Box of batch 15 boxes. The processor connects to operator1 during checking time.
2) And Que_Box close output port and open input port when start.
3) It close input port when content of it become to 15 and open output port.
4) It close output port when the content of it drop to 2 and open input port.

I hope the hints will help you to solve your issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to syseo For This Useful Post:
Samuel Valente (05-18-2016)
Old 05-02-2016
Samuel Valente

Thumbs up

Thanks Seo. I will try to get that working, I never tried the triggers before.

In the meantime, I contacted FlexSim and they helped me for free (for now!)

The result is attached, and it is closer to what I was expecting. Take a look if you are curious, they programmed. I don't know how to do that.

Nevertheless, I will try the trigger solution you proposed.

Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm modeloLIBBEY1-V2.fsm (33.0 KB, 797 views)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A problem with modeling (cell formation) Mehdi FIROOZI Q&A 3 02-26-2015 04:17 PM
Search for cell and value Jens Mühlheimer Q&A 8 03-13-2012 03:20 AM
position of a table cell in a gui Esther Bennett Q&A 1 04-14-2010 09:35 AM
Set datatype of a table cell Nico Zahn Q&A 7 11-28-2008 11:34 AM
Cell Control in a Rack Gavin Douglas Q&A 2 10-22-2008 09:16 AM