ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 06-30-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Lydia Franck is on a distinguished road
Default Performance problems in big model

Hi all

I have to build a model with 5000 instances of an object, e.g. a source. I insert them into the model by "createinstance". This finishes in a minute or so, but afterwards the model reacts very slowly and its size is 50 MB.

Is there a possibility to handle such big models in Flexsim?

Many thanks in advance!
Best regards Lydia.
Old 06-30-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Lydia,

Without seeing the model and / or knowing exactly why you have 5000 sources, it is very hard to give you specific advice in making your model run faster. Flexsim is capable of handling large models and there are certain things that you can do to make it handle them even better. The following post should help you out: http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...read.php?t=460

If you want some more specific help then you will need to post the model or explain what you are trying to do.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 06-30-2009
Flexsim User

Brandon,

thank you very much for your reply.

I have to model a storage with 5000 blocks, each containing multiple items. So the object I want to insert is actually a rack (or even some racks, as a block has 3 dimensions and a rack has only 2).

The given post deals with the running performance, but my problem occurs already before running, just after inserting the objects. The model does not react properly anymore.

Thanks a lot,
Lydia.
Old 06-30-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Lydia,

If you want to fill a rack with items at time zero why have you used the createinstance command to create 5000 sources? Wouldn't 1 source creating 5000 flowitems at time zero be more appropriate?

Brandon
Old 07-01-2009
Flexsim User

Brandon,

I'm sorry, it was a misunderstanding.

I want to create 5000 containers each consisting of about 4 racks. Each container represents a 3-dimensional block of items in the storage. (By the way, as the container with 4 racks is a user-defined object, the command createcopy is correct instead of createinstance.)

The sources were just an example which led to the model size mentioned.

Thanks a lot,
Lydia.
Old 07-01-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 22
tobias.biemueller is on a distinguished road

Hello Lydia,

maybe you should think about a different solution to handle this problem.
Is it not possible to create only a part of the container, without the multiple items in it and store the information of the items in some nodes or a labeltable. In the case you need one of the items you create it at this point?
I have learned, that you must reduce the objects in big models to get a comfortable handling.

Good Luck and best regards

Tobias
Old 07-01-2009
Flexsim User

Tobias,

thank you very much for your idea.
I actually considered representing the contents of the containers by just numbers but there is already a problem with the 5000 containers themselves (or e.g. 5000 sources).
In the simulation tool Plant Simulation there is no such performance problem. But I prefer the graphics in Flexsim and I think the rack is the ideal object for the blocks I have to animate.

Best wishes,
Lydia.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experimenter: Performance Measures Gavin Douglas Q&A 9 12-16-2010 02:45 PM
Flexsim running performance vs Automode performance... syseo Marketing and Sales Information 6 06-10-2009 08:35 PM
4.5 download problems Shankar Narayan Installation 2 03-10-2009 04:25 PM
Problems with wrl file Steven Hamoen Q&A 1 01-25-2008 06:00 AM
Graphics problems Yaghm Installation 5 09-28-2007 02:12 PM