ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 07-31-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Christian Norregaard will become famous soon enough
Default Using elevators to transport TE's

Hi all.

I have a rather challenging problem. (In my scope anyways)

I am working on a model, where task executors (AGVs) move a lot of cargo around below a hopspital. The traffic mostly takes place on a single level, but in some cases, I need the AGV's to use elevators to move up to the floors above.

In one of my test models, the plan was to get the AGV to travel to a Queue by the elevator and, by sending a message to the Queue, get the Queue to move the AGV into itself. Then the Queue sent the AGV to the appropriate floor by elevator, and the AGV was unloaded in another Queue. The problem is, that if the model is reset while the AGV is in a Queue or Elevator, the AGV is destroyed along with all other flow items. Then there is the issue of Travel Networks. When the AGV is loaded onto an Elevator, it is removed from it's travel network as far as I can tell, and this presents yet another challenge.

In another test model, I used a Coordinated Task Sequence to get the AGV and Elevator to meet up and and load the AGV from the AGV's current Net Node, and then travel to the appropriate floor and unload the AGV to a Net Node there. This worked a bit better than the previous attempt, but it takes some very tricky Task Sequences which tend to make trouble when I work with 4 elevators, each with 6 floors.

Last time I had this problem, I ended up cheating by using a vertical travel network and a Traffic Control to simulate elevators. This time around, though, I would like to do it right.

Does anyone here have experience with using elevators to transport other TE's, and if so, would you care to share a few tips?

Any help would be heavily appreciated.
/Christian
The Following User Says Thank You to Christian Norregaard For This Useful Post:
Jörg Vogel (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Christian,

you can bind your Taskexecuter with the kinematics node of the elevator.
If you update the kinematics in the draw trigger of the taskexecuter and perhaps another trigger e.g. Onmessage, the taskexecuter moves with the elevator.

It is very dirty in my opinion, but it looks good.

Jörg

TEonElevator.fsm

Last edited by Jörg Vogel; 12-03-2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: uploading a model
The Following User Says Thank You to Jörg Vogel For This Useful Post:
Christian Norregaard (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013
Flexsim User

Thanks, Jörg.

How would you go about disconnecting the TE from the basement travel network and then attaching it to the network on the floors? I tried contextdragconnection() to do this, but it did not seem quite stable. I may need to experiment a bit more with that part.

I am looking forward to try tying this together with my dispatcher logic, which is based on analyzing remaining traveldistance in existing tasks and distance from end-of-previous-task to beginning-of-new-task.
Old 07-31-2013
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

Christian,

The command you are looking for is reassignnetnode()
Do not use it while the TE is currently executing a travel task.

reassignnetnode(te, NULL) once the elevator has loaded the TE

reassignnetnode(te, newNN) just before the elevator has unloaded the TE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
Christian Norregaard (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013
Flexsim User

Thanks, Kris.

I will give it a whirl tomorrow, and get back with my results. I will also post a model when I get it to work...

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Collaborative transport Shahin Gelareh Q&A 3 02-13-2012 09:43 PM
Returning elevators to a certain position when idle Christian Norregaard Q&A 1 10-25-2011 02:09 PM
Transport 2 once! john mic Q&A 5 05-20-2010 11:28 PM
How do you transport using two different methods Derrick Serbonich Q&A 1 02-25-2009 05:50 PM
flowiTems From transport to transport Manuel Kraenzle Q&A 1 10-27-2008 01:32 PM