ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-12-2015
Flexsim User

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Katharina Muller is on a distinguished road
Question Pre-filling Rack randomly

Hello everyone.

I like to pre-fill a large warehouse with 10,000 pallets randomly upon model start-up. I have connected a source to generate all pallets at time 0 and the racks are all set to Place in Random Bay if Available and Place in Random Level if Available, as well as maximum 1 pallet/bay. The total capacity of all 18 racks is 13,050 pallets, so it is not full either.

It still places several pallets in the same cell overlaying each other and reaching into the ASRS aisle, which will look bad (see attached image).
I even tried letting all pallets enter individually every millisecond within the first 10 seconds, so each could check the cell availability, but the result is the same.
Am I overlooking any setting here?

Thanks for your help,
Kat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	prefill-rack.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	638.5 KB
ID:	2975  

Last edited by Katharina Muller; 08-12-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-12-2015
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Is the max content of each of your Racks less than or equal to the number of cells in the rack (bays * levels)?

It seems to be working fine in my test to duplicate your problem. Can you post a sample model showing the problem?
Attached Files
File Type: fsm random_rack_placement.fsm (15.2 KB, 460 views)
Old 08-13-2015
Flexsim User

Dear Phil,

yes I know it works in my other models as well, and I think it worked in this as well before.
Each of my racks has 72 bays with 10 levels = 720 positions plus 5 positions on cantilevers, total of 725 per rack and my queue is sending as round robin equally to all racks.
I remember there was an issue that the initial level location (in my case 1m) did not copy along when I was duplicating the bays, so I had to do this manually and then I wanted to copy it onto the other racks via Edit Selected Objects. Was not sure, which was the corresponding variable to copy, so I tried locationtable and sizetable. After that the racks went invisible when clicking on them, so I had to restart and try to rescue by editing through the model tree, maybe something got messed-up there?

I have no sample model, but could email you my current model to have a look? I would really like to avoid replacing all the racks and do all the placing and connections again.

Thanks,
Kat
Old 08-13-2015
Flexsim Development

Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Your racks with too many items in one bay have "Maximum items per cell" set to 2 in their Place in Bay code. Set that to 1 and it will behave as desired.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Katharina Muller (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015
Flexsim User

Thanks so much, you are right Phil, I had overlooked a few racks that still had the old setting! Now it looks beautiful :-)
Originally I wanted 2 per bay, but next to each other and not double-deep as per default. Then I decided before writing code of how to place them exactly, just to double the bays and place 1 each (though graphically the rack has too many columns then).
Is there an easy way to place 2 pallets next to each other in the same bay?

Thanks again,
Katharina
Old 08-17-2015
Flexsim Development

The easiest way to model the behavior you want is the way you are modeling it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Katharina Muller (08-26-2015)

Tags
rack, rack bay, rack level, rack stocking

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding Levels to a rack by code is not updating the rack drawing koenslootmans Q&A 3 06-19-2015 06:06 AM