ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 02-17-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
brett forbes is on a distinguished road
Question Simple, realistic pipe layout

Hi,

I have a couple of simple questions about how to layout pipes, particularly when they have two or more connection as input, or two or more connections as output. In addition, I would like to understand how to set these layouts in code.

I have attached a very simple pipe layout scenario, where I have two fluid generators connecting to a single processor. The single processor then connects to two processors, which each connect to a fluid terminator.

I have attached a screen shot layout and a Flexsim file, where the fixed resources are in symmetrical grid positions as shown in the table below.
Object (x, y)
Gen1 (-20, 10)
Gen2 (-20, -10)
Processor1 (0, 0)
Processor2 (20, 10)
Processor3 (20, -10)
Terminator1 (40, 10)
Terminator2 (40, -10)

My simple questions are:
Q1: If I connect Gen1 & Gen2 to a single pipe, which is then connected to Processor 1 (i.e. two inputs, one output), how can I setup the layout tab so the pipe starts at both generators and ends up at the processor? Do I instead need to use three pipes, where one pipe connects Gen1 to the central pipe, and another connects Gen2 to the central pipe, and the central pipe connects to Processor 1?
Q2: How do I achieve the reverse layout (i.e. one input going to two outputs) between Processor 1, 2 & 3?
Q3: How do I achieve this result in code (Flexscript)? Is it just simple trigonometry?
Q4: Since the objects in Flexsim are all located by their top left corners, the pipes connect at the edges of the object, which may look funny. Should I instead correct the positions of the objects for their individual dimensions, so that each element lines up centrally, and the pipes connect to the centres of each object?
Q5: In order to get the graphics right, should the pipes project slightly inside the solid shape of each fixed resource?

I attach a graphic of the simple layout as well as the flexsim file for it.

Please help with my simple layout questions.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Connecting Pipes.jpg (280.4 KB, 149 views)
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Connecting Pipes.fsm (24.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 03-25-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
brett forbes is on a distinguished road
Default Problem Solved, see Tips and Tricks

Hi,

I have solved my own problem and have posted a full description of how to achieve automated, realistic pipe layout in the Tips and Tricks section.

I hope this link below is persistant, if not you will have to use the menu to get there.

http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...1436#post11436

Thanks

Brett

Tags
pipe layout

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Layout Change in Experimenter Esteban Echeverry Q&A 6 08-26-2014 12:16 AM
using layout with visual tool naveenkumar Tips and Tricks 1 02-10-2012 01:29 PM
optimization of layout naveenkumar Tips and Tricks 7 02-02-2012 06:00 AM
WALLS IN A LAYOUT naveenkumar Tips and Tricks 4 12-06-2011 05:46 AM
Change Layout from GUI Nico Zahn Q&A 4 12-24-2009 07:42 AM