ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-24-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Courtney Allensworth is on a distinguished road
Default Importing an AutoCAD Drawing using the Visual Tool

I'm trying to use the Visual Tool to import an AutoCAD drawing as a layout. I've followed the instructions for doing this and when I get to the part in the VisualTool Properties Display Tab, the set the minimum magnification and set the maximum distance are not appearing. I've attached a pic of what the Display tab looks like after I've selected the file name. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	VisualTool Pic.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	766  
Old 08-24-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Courtney,

In the latest version those options have been removed. Instead there is pick option in the OnDraw trigger that will do the same thing if you need it. Are you having any other problems?

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 08-24-2009
Flexsim User

Yeah I do. I can't see the layout. The visual tool goes from gray to white. I just figured I was missing those last 2 steps. Have I missed something in an earlier step?
Old 08-24-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Courtney,

Here is a list of reasons that people can't find their DXF file when they import them.

1. How large is the file? I have had files that were so large when I exported them that the graphics card would not display them (over 50Mb). Different computers will act differently on this one.
2. Make sure the x rotation on the visual tool is -90
3. It is possible that the file was not scaled in feet or meters like your model. Try zooming way out or way in to see if you can see it.
4. It is possible that the drawing was not moved to the origin. You can try zooming out and then panning to see if you can locate it.
5. It is possible that the model was not exploded enough. Often times the drawing lines must be exploded more than once to get them down to their most basic components. Try repeating the exploding step a few more times.

If this doesn't help then you can send the file to me and I can look at it for you.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 08-24-2009
Flexsim User

Brandon,

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them out and if I still have any problems I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Courtney
Old 08-25-2009
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 12
Martijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to all

Hi Courtney,

In the past I also encountered problems with the size of a dxf once it is exploded, which results in a large import time in Flexsim and difficulty in moving through your model in Flexsim. Especially if it is a large building drawing with for instance a lot of machinery/production lines, make sure you take your time in eliminating all unnecessary data. So, I would first try it as Brandon described it, but if you have problems with a large dxf-file do the following:

Do not just explode everything, but go into the blocks themselves an delete everything that is not needed in this block. If you would have 50 instances of this block in your drawing and you would just explode it, you would have 50 times the same data. If you minimize it first, you minimize a lot of overhead data.

Once you've adjusted your blocks and exploded them, purge your model such that the blocks are completely eliminated.

I know there are also problems exploding splines in your drawing. There are programs (like splineconvert) to convert them. Never used it though.

Martijn
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martijn van Oostenbrugge For This Useful Post:
Steven Hamoen (08-25-2009)
Old 08-25-2009
Flexsim User

Brandon,

I'm still having the same problem. I've deleted out most of the floorplan and left only what I need for the model. I've exploded the drawing till it said it couldn't be exploded anymore. The file size is only 10,640 KB. I tried setting the x rotation at -90. I've zoomed in and out and panned and can't locate it.

I've probably overlooked something else but I'm not sure what. I've attached the .dxf file and the Flexsim file I'm trying to get it into (though the only thing in it right now is the visual tool). Any help on figuring out where I've gone wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Courtney
Attached Files
File Type: zip Layout_for_Flexsim.zip (845.5 KB, 232 views)
Old 08-25-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 41
Anthony Timmiss will become famous soon enoughAnthony Timmiss will become famous soon enough

Courtney

I tried opening your dxf file and encountered an error.

'Unknown value "AC1024" encountered in drawing version. Invalid or imcomplete DXF input -- drawing discarded.'

The flexsim file opened but I just saw a white shaded area without any lines on it.

I encountered an error once before that I eventually narrowed down to a 'block' on the drawing that was referencing somewhere else. Until I deleted this the drawing would not work. I had already exploded and deleted any extra lines that I did not need.
Old 08-25-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Courtney,

I was unable to import your AutoCAD dxf file into AutoCAD to look at it. However, I was able to spot it in Flexsim. The drawing is located at way off of center. To fix it you will need to select the drawing in AutoCAD and then move it to the origin.

To see the drawing in Flexsim you can open up the visual tool and go to the General Tab. Click on the Edit Shape Factors button. Enter 160000 for the X value and -12800 for the Z value. This will center your drawing on the screeen so that you can see it.

Sorry, I wasn't able to open the dxf in AutoCAD to fix it for you (I only have LT so that might be my problem).

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 08-25-2009
Flexsim User

Smile

Brandon,

Thanks for the help. I use AutoCAD LT 2010 so if you use an older version that could be the problem. If you use 2007, 2004, or 2000 I can save it as any of those if I run into a similar problem again.

Thanks again,

Courtney
Old 07-26-2010
Flexsim User

Default Autocad Import Problem

Once again I'm having a problem importing an AutoCAD Drawing. I've followed the instructions to the letter and still can't find my drawing within the model. Could someone please tell me what I might be doing wrong. The attached files are of a model with just the visual tool and the AutoCAD drawing itself.

I've already removed all the unnecessary information, adjusted the scale (it's in feet), moved the objects to the orgin, and exploded all the compound objects in the AutoCAD file.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Courtney
Attached Files
File Type: zip Background.zip (1.66 MB, 195 views)
Old 07-26-2010
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

You could try reducing everything onto one layer. I found the dxf image to be far in the distance when I converted it. Attached is the model and dxf.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BCP TRF Layout-071610 basic elements autocad2007.zip (1.20 MB, 202 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
Courtney Allensworth (07-29-2010)
Old 07-29-2010
Flexsim User

Jason,

Thanks for the help, but could you tell me what you did? If my layout is already at the orgin in AutoCAD why does it appear so far in the distance when I bring it in? And how did you find it? Also did you use Flexsim v5 to import it or Flexsim CT? The reason I ask is that the visual tool in the model you gave me also has Container Functionality.

I'm trying to find out the simplest and best way to import an AutoCAD file as a background, because I always seem to have trouble of one kind or another even when I follow the directions in the Help section.

Thanks again,

Courtney Allensworth
Old 07-30-2010
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Courtney,

I used a third party tool to convert to dxf. Then I imported it into the visual tool, by selecting the "Imported Shape" option. I don't think the visual tool is a special version - I certainly don't have CT loaded.

The key to finding the shape is I think to go to the View Settings and set the far clipping to something large - maybe 100,000 - so that Flexsim draws things a long way off in the distance. Then by rotating around about the origin will often show the shape.

I then changed the position and shape factors to scale it correctly and position it relative to the bounding box of the visual tool.

I hope that helps you. Jason

Last edited by Jason Lightfoot; 07-30-2010 at 05:51 AM.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highlight a Visual Tool set to Screen Locked Billboard in perspective view? RalfGruber Q&A 3 03-25-2009 08:49 AM
how to make the visual tool transparent? qin tian Q&A 8 11-28-2008 11:17 AM
Changing the color of a .3ds shape made with autocad Alexandre Ouellet Q&A 5 04-30-2008 08:48 AM
How to prepare an AutoCAD drawing for Flexsim import. Regan Blackett Tips and Tricks 1 11-07-2007 07:08 PM
Visual tool as a container qs Paul Dowling Q&A 2 08-20-2007 07:53 PM