ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Sales and Services > Pre-sales Questions
Downloads

Pre-sales Questions Want to know more about Flexsim? Ask our existing users!

Old 04-19-2010
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about
Default Mining Operation

There is an enquiry for Flexsim to be use in mining operation. Please advise if the following could be carry out.
  1. Mine production management and simulation software
  2. Grade control systems
  3. Geological Data management and presentation
  4. Workforce management and training systems
Thanks

David
Old 04-28-2010
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

David,

I have done some mining simulations in the past that cover some of the different aspects of the mining process. Below are descriptions for two of those model types.

Truck and Shovel Haulage - These models simulated the movement of material from the mining face to the various dump locations. They included times for loading, unloading, breakdowns, and fueling. They also accounted for speed differences based on the grade of the road and the empty/full status of the truck. Each model had a slightly different dispatching algorithm based on the needs of the mine. In all cases the material removed from the face was sent to the appropriate dump zone according to its ore grade and in one instance even material properties. Some of the models were built to be capable of handling blasting events, and shovel relocation to different loading areas. These models were used for different purposes in each instance. Those purposes included:
  • Getting travel times between different locations
  • Determining the effect of a mixed truck fleet on travel times and utilization.
  • Determining the optimum number of trucks.
  • Determining the mining sequence of the pit.
  • Determining the overall production of the mine.
Cathode / Anode Movement - This simulation involved the movement of copper cathodes, anodes, and blanks by AGVs for the electrolysis process. The primary purpose of this model was to determine the best algorithm for the coordination of the AGVs and the best placement of hand off locations.

Of the four different applications that you mention I feel that Flexsim would only be unsuitable for the 3rd application. This is because there are already a good number of software packages that are built around handling and displaying the large (did I mention LARGE) amount of geological data available to an engineer.

Flexsim has been used repeatedly in various areas for the first application that you mention. It has also been considered but not yet implemented for the training aspect of the 4th application. In this area it was proposed that a Flexsim model be built of a Moly (Molybdenum) recovery cell at a mine. This model would then be used to train employees on the effects of changes that they made to flow rates and chemical ratios. The reason for this is that these changes can take a long time to have an effect on the process (because of dwell times and recirculation rates); and in some instances those effects can make big problems fast when they do kick in. Flexsim stood out as a good tool because the process could be simulated at a high rate so that the effects would be more clear to the employee.

As for the grade control application I am not exactly sure what you mean by this as it can apply to many different areas. So, the short answer is that Flexsim most likely could be used and would be a good fit. However, to be exact I would need to know more about how you think it would be used to do this.

Sorry for not getting you this information sooner, I've just been really busy. If you need it I'm sure that I could probably get you some videos or demonstrate the models on a GoTo Meeting.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 04-29-2010
LINWEIXU

Downloads:
Uploads:

thank you Brandon,you mentioned that you had use some dispatching algorithm in your model, did you write these algorithm in flexsimscript or dll? did you write these algorithms in dispatatch block,and use some tasksquence?how did you control?i have seen your example (Open Pit Demo).can you introduce more about this?
Old 04-29-2010
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Linweixu,

The dispatching algorithms were done in Flexscript in the same block of code that created the task sequences to move the trucks from one area to another. All of the algorithms were specific to each mine and contain some confidential information so I cannot share them on the forum.

Brandon

Tags
mining

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About "empty bucket" operation? zhang xin Container Terminal (CT) Library 6 04-15-2013 03:42 AM
Mining Demo models Brandon Peterson Q&A 7 01-16-2012 07:04 PM