ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 06-13-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
karl huang is on a distinguished road
Default How to unload all the same itemtype flowitem into the matching queue altogether?

I am a new user of flexsim. I have a problem. I use three Queues. The QueueRed for Red box, the QueueGreen for Green box, and the QueueBlue for Blue box. I want the transporter to unload one batch boxes with the same itemtype into the matching queue altogether. For example: 2 red boxes into QueueRed, 3 green boxes into QueueGreen, and 2 blue boxes into QueueBlue at one batch processing. But the transporter just unload the box into the matching queue in turn as the box originally came in. After reviewing the Q&A forum, I learned to use "Request Transport from" and "create a tasksequence manually" and "set preempt and priority". But It won't work. The transporter became strange. Sometimes the transporter won't unload the box until next batch processing. Would someone help me how to solve this problem ?
Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip how to unload the same itemtype flowitem altogether.zip (46.2 KB, 334 views)
Old 06-13-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Karl,

I attached a model that should do what you want it to do. I put the queue back on the default task sequence and changed the break to requirement on the transport to only break to tasksequences with flowitems of a specific itemtype and then set the item type to the same value as the itemtype of the flowitem already loaded.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Attached Files
File Type: zip How to Load multiple items of the same type.zip (45.8 KB, 347 views)
Old 06-13-2008
Flexsim User

Brandon,

Thanks for your help.

I am sorry. I didn't express my problem clearly.

In your model, the transport only takes one itemtype for each trip. This is not I want.

I hope the transport can loads all flowitems (maybe 1 or 2 or 3 itemtypes) each trip and drop them into the correct matching queues in this trip.

For example, from Queue2 to QueueRed, then drop all red boxes, and then go to QueueGreen, drop all green boxes(, rather than to QueueRed, drop one red box, then go to QueueGreen, drop one green box, then back to QueueRed, drop another red box).

I have no idea to solve this problem. Would you help me? Thanks.

Karl
Old 06-13-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Karl,

This model does what you want. I reduced the batch size to 6 and put the max wait time to 0 so that it would wait until it has size flow items. This solution will work for this situation but may need to be modified for different situations.

The model uses the custom task sequence to load the items. The custom task sequence only has the lift travel to the queue, load the item and then send a message to the queue. When the queue gets the message it checks to make sure that there aren't any more task sequences in the task sequence queue of the transport. If there aren't any more then it creates one big task sequence that will unload all of the items in the correct queues (reds together, greens together, blues together).

Let me know if this is what you wanted,
Brandon
Attached Files
File Type: zip How to Unload multiple items of the same type.zip (47.1 KB, 359 views)
Old 06-13-2008
Flexsim User

Brandon,

Thank you very much. It works perfectly as what I want.

karl
Old 06-14-2008
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

There is a new OnUnload trigger in v4.3 called:
"Unload all items intended for this station before unloading to other stations"

This trigger alone will prevent the back-forth traveling between the destination queues. However, the order in which the 3 groups are delivered is still influenced by the order of arrival into the queue.

Brandon has shown that you always have full control with a custom task sequence.

In an attempt to control the delivery sequence without creating a custom task sequence, I tried sorting the items OnEntry to the queue but that did not help. I also tried some more complicated things which defeated my original goal of using minimal triggers. In the end I found something that worked, but it could be risky in some situations:

OnEndCollecting of a batch close all the inputs of the downstream queues. Then send a message to current to start a message loop with a negligible delay to open the inputs of the downstream objects in the reverse sequence that you want them to be delivered.

I suspect this would not be a wise move if you are delivering to the destination queues from multiple batching queues. Custom task sequences still have the final say.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Unload items in groups.zip (54.5 KB, 333 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
karl huang (06-14-2008)
Old 06-14-2008
Flexsim User

Kris,

Thanks a lot for your smart idea. It not only taught me two kinds of techniques, it also inspired me a lot!

Karl
Old 01-27-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 1
TilmanDHL is on a distinguished road
Default Same problem like karl...

Hi Brandon,

I'm a new flexsim user and I think I have the same problem karl described in this thread.
My Porblem is, that I just can work with the Flexsim Version 3 and so I can't open your example model. Do you have your example model in Version 3? Or maybe you can give me a more detailed description how to realize it.
Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Til
Old 01-27-2009
Administrator

Downloads: 28
Roger Hullinger is a jewel in the roughRoger Hullinger is a jewel in the roughRoger Hullinger is a jewel in the rough
Hi Til,

I have three suggestions that might help you:

First, download the latest Flexsim evaluation version from our website and open Brandon's model using the evaluation version. This, coupled with Brandon's description should help you.

Second, upgrade your existing 3.0 license to version 4.5

A final suggestion is to consider an online one-on-one training course to go over this type of application in Flexsim. We'd be happy to prepare a 1-2 hour course for you to cover just this single topic with you (and others if you like). The cost for the online training is $150 USD per hour.

All the best,

Roger Hullinger
Flexsim
Old 01-29-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 1
TilmanDHL is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks...

Hi,

Thank you very much! Your first suggestion works it's very helpful.
Old 01-30-2009
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold
Default Training in Erfurt

Hi Tilman,

to give you a hint on Rogers suggestion: There will be a training class in Erfurt held from Feb 24 to 26. Of course this training class will be held using Flexsim 4.5.

I am pretty sure, that you would solve your tasks MUCH faster and easier changing to Flexsim 4.5. Give me a call if you are interested.

Best regards

Ralf
aka ralle
Old 02-21-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Simon Zaw is on a distinguished road

Hi Brandon,

I ran into a few walls in trying to sort multiple items, stack them and unload them as a batch.

-1-
In my model, when I used the Queue with "matching item type" sent out direct to the port, it works. But when I used the transporter, the transporter won't sort by matching item types.

-2-
When another transporter is unloading the stack and transporting to the next storage/sink, it is not taking the whole stack instead, it is taking one each from the conveyor.

The model that you gave to Karl Huang seems to work in terms of the transporter sorting the items by type. But even though I set the capacity to 1, it is still taking multiple products. In my model, it is supposed to take only one item at a time. If that is solved, my #1 is done.

I am still having problem making the transporter come and take the whole stack from the storage/ queue when they are full. i.e. my #2.

Thanks in adv,
Simon
Old 02-21-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

Simon,

please have a look into the following thread and the attached models.

/threads/thread860

I guess here you can find hints and help for your problems.
The "problem" in my eyes is that in the queue the items do not spent any time if the downstream objects are available.
The ‚solution‘ for using Taskeexecuter for the transport is to control the queue (close output) and make the tasksequences by yourself (tasksequence defines the number of items to load and unload and the traget destination). That’s at least what is working for me.

Good succes
tom the (A)tom

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a question on queue KelvinHo Q&A 15 11-09-2011 07:16 AM
Queue Sorting Jeff Nordgren Q&A 12 05-22-2008 03:21 PM
Queue stacking Paul Dowling Q&A 2 11-27-2007 11:57 PM
Customizing Flowitem Attributes - a quest for the flowitem with the fewest attributes Cliff King Tips and Tricks 0 11-22-2007 12:22 PM