ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 09-29-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
UrbanAviator is on a distinguished road
Default Demand variablity by shift

Hi all!

I have to build a model that works on 3 8-hour shifts per day. During each of these shifts, there is a difference in the demand of flow items that needs to be generated. I have multiple sources of different types of objects. One source creates "bottles" while another creates "caps", etc, each their own demand. The model is supposed to simulate a supply chain of packaging materials to a factory.

In total, there are 15 shifts, but only the first 2 shifts of each day will be allowed to deliver items.In other words, Shifts 1&2, 4&5, 7&8,......, are the only ones allowed to create these items, which will be stored in racks and then picked up by truck.

How can i set my sources to create these different items based on the day or shift that is currently running?

I can upload some of the data if need be?

Thank you in advance.

Rikus
Old 09-29-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Rikus,

you can use the timetables under the tool menu. Add a Timetable just for the shift, in which your sources should not work. Then set the repeat interval to the time of one day. And choose the sources as members. The standard functionality stops the sources and let resume them after the down shift.

Jörg
Old 09-29-2013
Flexsim User

Thanks Jörg, I will try that.

I just have another question: in the source property tab, should I select arrival style as "Arrival Schedule" and enter the different number of arrivals per item? I am having trouble doing this for any shift other than the first one.
The aim is to only create certain items during the different shifts, so every 8 hours the sources will need to create different items?
Old 09-29-2013
Flexsim User

Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Rikus,

use more sources. If you add a timetable for each source or each shift, you let the selected source work only when you need it to produce the specific item.
I would call the timetables vacation tables.

Jörg
Old 09-29-2013
Flexsim User

Hi Jörg!

I have roughly 130 different types of items that needs to be produced, so would you recommend this method still be considered??
Old 09-30-2013
Flexsim User

Not really!

Jörg

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shift schedule import from excel Pongjetanapong FlexSim HC: Q&A 2 09-25-2013 04:59 PM
Modeling change shift David Chan Q&A 2 12-05-2012 02:34 AM
Change Operator in between process when shift changes naren nataraj Q&A 8 06-15-2012 07:31 AM
the shift definition of the different processors west zhang Q&A 1 12-09-2011 02:17 AM
Shift work m matias Q&A 2 02-21-2010 01:12 PM