View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, Quadros are hit-or-miss with FlexSim. Sometimes the right combination of card and driver will work wonderfully, and sometimes a nice Quadro card is easily outperformed by a mediocre Geforce card using FlexSim.

For the safest bet, I would go with Geforce. If you want to do stereo-3d (in the next release), you will need a Quadro or FireFL card though (and a 3d screen).

I haven't tested, seen, or heard any information regarding SLI performance with FlexSim, but I suspect that SLI won't improve FlexSim's draw speed very much right now based on the information in Nvidia's SLI FAQ: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#s1

"Why don't all games see performance increases?

Applications which tax the GPU will see tremendous performance improvements of up to 2x with SLI technology when using two graphics cards. Most of today's hottest games and as well as next-generation games fall into this category. However, some applications, typically older generation applications, are limited by factors other than the GPU's processing power.

The most common limitation is the CPU. If an application becomes CPU bound, no additional graphics power can improve performance. This situation is most common at low screen resolutions like 1024x768 with no additional functionality turned on. Turning on antialiasing and anisotropic filtering or switching to higher resolutions can often move the processing requirements back to the GPU.

For CPU-bound applications, NVIDIA offers a new SLI rendering mode called SLI Antialiasing. This rendering mode allows you to enable SLI8x, SLI16x, or SLI32x (for quad SLI only) antialiasing and enhance the visual quality of any gaming application."

I believe FlexSim's draw code is often more bound by the CPU (traversing the objects in the tree) than the GPU (drawing the polygons in display lists). Jason may be right that SLI antialiasing may improve the look, but it also might make selection in FlexSim behave unpredictably because we haven't done any tests on SLI setups.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Jason Lightfoot (02-19-2013), Jorge Toucet (02-19-2013)